Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Copyright issues
    Hello everyone!

I know that the law board isn't really my thing, but nevertheless, here I am...

Okay, what is happening is that I have a friend in the US (WA) and has one of the projects as publishing and putting on sale, a comic. And you probably guessed right, there is a copyright issue which could be raised.

Well, the comic is about Pokemon and this is a copyrighted name, as well as all the creatures and their names. She is planning to go to see the company at the branch in the US to ask for permission, but I would like to know if there could be any advice given before she gets there, just to avoid trouble and such.

I tried looking online, but there are several Copyright Acts, and I just don't know which one to refer to, since the trade name is owned by Nintendo in Japan and I have seen that different countries handle copyrights differently at times (and law was never my forte... ).

Soo... anyone? :o
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 10:31 AM
    In the US she can use trademarked names without permssion only under the "fair use" doctrine, which allows for some specific uses of trademarks owned by others for purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. You can read about it here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Your friend's work does not fit any of these purposes - instead she wants to profit directly from the Pokemon characters. So your friend will definitely require permission, and I can almost guarrantee that permission will be denied. The Pokemon brand is worth a lot of money to Nintendo and they would not want to risk damaging the brand through actions of an outsider over whom they have no control.

Suggestion: perhaps she can work out a deal with Nintendo to develop and market a comic book, but they would most definitely insist on full control of content and ownership rights of the final product. My niece recently did something similar with the "Hunger Games" sci-fi brand - she actually wrote a cookbook that is based on the elements of the stories, but it was under full control by the Hunger Games Publishers - you can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Hun...2760828&sr=8-1
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Ahh, so there's not much that can be done then, but hope they will accept her request :(. Oh well, thanks ebaines :)

And yes, I too was thinking about the part ownership Nintendo would claim or even the total ownership, and I guess it'll be worse if that comic gets popular. =S (she's already very popular in her field :p)

EDIT: Hey, that's nice! Congratulations to your niece :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copyright Issues with a Short Story Adaptation [ 2 Answers ]

Soon, I'm going to be illustrating a graphic novel of a short story written in 1892 and I was wondering what the legal ramifications of getting it published would be. I've only found copyright laws dealing with short stories after the turn of the century but not before. I want to make sure that...

How do I copyright? [ 2 Answers ]

I've written two songs that I actually have a beat to and I'm very proud of them but I'd like to get them copyrighted so that maybe I could sing them at contests without worry of them getting stolen considering that one is one I wrote about my boyfriend.

Copyright issue? [ 7 Answers ]

I have all issues of a magazine, and have indexed all of it's articles. May I offer as a service (of course charge a bit) the copying and sending of individual articles? Can anyone recommend a website/webpage that explains it clearly? Thanks!

Copyright [ 3 Answers ]

If there's a picture of someone in a public profile on a website, can I copy that picture? Can I post it? Can I use only a first name with the picture? Or is it atomatically copyrited by the person who's profile it is? Or do you have to file for a copyright on that picture?

View more questions Search