Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daye.nyte Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Religion and Technology
    What are the pros and cons of religion merging with technology?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 03:34 PM
    What do you mean by "merging" of religion and technology? Do you mean using technology in religious endeavors - such as using TV to broadcast religious services?
    daye.nyte Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 04:43 PM
    Yes
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 05:18 PM
    A church can reach homebound/bedbound members via technology -- Kindle/Nook, iPods, DVDs, CDs, email, IMing.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2011, 07:43 PM
    Certain technologies can be useful, it was technology that allowed the widespread circulation of the Bible so the use of technology has been with us from the beginning. There is however a big difference between the broadcast of messages and the turning of religion into a business through use of technology. Those who do it are like the shepherds who argued over their pay, their motives are suspect
    Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 06:43 AM
    Like any tool technology can be used for good and for evil. One downside is the ease with which scammers can prey on ever wider audiences of "believers." Remember Peter Popoff? A classic scamming faith healer who raked in millions before being exposed as a charlatan. See: Peter Popoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2011, 09:11 AM
    Interesting question. Well as far as Christianity goes, in the book of Revelation John records several times that the whole world will see certain end time events. How can that be without technology? And then of course there is the mark of the beast that everyone who wants to buy or sell will have to take. Either on the right hand or forehead this chip or whatever it is will be implanted possibly. For me it is totally cool to see how far technology has come. In fact some bible scholars believe it was prophesied in Daniel. Daniel wrote there would be a knowledge explosion. And hasn't that happened? I mean it wasn't that long ago the main form of transportation was a horse and buggy. We've come a long way baby... and we are suppose to according to the bible.

Cons would be more opportunity for sin I suppose. Maybe even a breakdown of the family because of it. BUT it has made this world a much smaller place that can be good and bad.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Since there is no mention of technology in the bible we can assume it should not be used.
    Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Since there is no mention of technology in the bible we can assume it should not be used.
    Au contraire - there are plenty of references to technology in the Bible. The very existence of the Bible in written form is due to technology. Consider the definition of technology from Wikipedia: "Technology is the making, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems or methods of organization in order to solve a problem or perform a specific function." Some examples in the Bible that come to mind are Noah's ark, David's slingshot, temple building, all the weapons used in the wars of the Old Testament, wine, agriculture, letter writing, etc. I'm sure there are hundreds (maybe thousands) more.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2011, 08:07 PM
    Wow, that's a stretch. Any verses that relate to electronic technology?
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2011, 12:20 PM
    NK,

Not such a stretch. The bible records that during the 7 year tribulation period the whole world will see the 2 witnesses preaching in Israel. They will be killed and lay dead in the streets for several days. THEN the whole world will see them come back to life and return to heaven. How can the whole world see such an event? John certainly had no clue but he wrote about it. We live in a time where this is a no brainer how the whole earth be able to see it. Technology!

Also the antichrist is going to control mankind by making sure they cannot buy or sell anything without taking his mark. I don't know how this can possibly be unless there is electronic technology. What I find so amazing is that Christians believed ALL of this 100 years ago even though they had no clue how it could be. In fact, they believed Israel would be a nation again, although most people would have laughed at the idea. Amazing how acccurate the Bible really is. Israel became a nation in a day, just as the Bible said it would happen. But is suppose that is just random coincidence to the unbelieving world.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    NK stuff doesn't have to referenced directly or explicitally to be part of the narrative. The Bible gives us the big picture, it rarely goes into minute detail and technology is a very broad definition. Remember even the pen is technology. We now have the means to inform mass audiences in real time. At the time the Bible was written this was not possible, even the printed word did not exist. I would therefore say you should assume nothing of the kind otherwise by your definition we should not be reading the Bible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religion or not religion. That is the big Q [ 33 Answers ]

Personally, I think an all seeing , all powerful, all knowing, invisible god of any religion has finnaly been recognised by many people for what it truly is. An invention of man with all his insecurities, the hope that his god will look after him in times of trouble. Well its time to wake up and I...

3g technology [ 1 Answers ]

I want the full details of 3g mobile technology

Gender equality in religion in the islamic religion [ 0 Answers ]

Is there any gender equality in the muslim religion

View more questions Search