Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Nov 5, 2004, 09:39 PM
    Stop home page hijacking with this
    I have been using a program called windows patrol for over a year now. You can download it free at winpatrol.com Would not be on the net without it. Has saved my home page numerous times and from what I've been reading about:blank seems to be a real pain and is very hard to get rid of. Should you decide to use this program you'll never have to do a scan with Adaware, Spybot or anything like that because windows patrol will prevent your home page from ever getting hijacked in the first place. Ver 8 is 886 kb so small but does a great job.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 8, 2004, 09:18 PM
    I've heard about winpatrol but I wouldn't be so sure that it is unbeatable. I would also add Giant AntiSpyware to your solution. I have been using it for several months on all of my spyware service calls and my customers simply love it and love me for recommending it.

It is the first of its kind that actually works like a firewall to stop spyware from being installed in the first place. The only way you will get spyware loaded onto your computer is if you click on a button to allow the spyware to install.

It is available as a free trial download at the link below. If you use it once, I guarantee you will purchase it!

Nov 8, 2004, 11:22 PM
    Thanks for the add'l information
    Quote Originally Posted by cremedies
    I've heard about winpatrol but I wouldn't be so sure that it is unbeatable. I would also add Giant AntiSpyware to your solution. I have been using it for several months on all of my spyware service calls and my customers simply love it and love me for recommending it.

It is the first of its kind that actually works like a firewall to stop spyware from being installed in the first place. The only way you will get spyware loaded onto your computer is if you click on a button to allow the spyware to install.

It is available as a free trial download at the link below. If you use it once, I guarantee you will purchase it!
    Just recently read about Giant last week as a matter of fact. Winpatrol will not necessarily stop spyware but the one thing it does prevent is your home page from being hijacked. Have never had mine taken over yet that is why I like the program so much because it will alert you that something's trying to take over the page & ask if you want to allow it. I don't use it for spyware prevention. Just got an upgraded computer today so will be able to install programs that require Win98 or better in order to have spyware prevention, etc. Thanks again for the info-will go to the site & check it out.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2005, 10:54 PM
    Help
    I use Spysweeper, to prevent my pages being hijacked, the good thing about that is, Spysweeper does so much more and is an excellent program, rather than just having a program that does 1 thing.

:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2005, 06:03 AM
    Spyware program
    Hi,
    Thanks for the program name and the good rating, and info.
    I personally use Spyware Blaster from www.cnet.com/downloads.
    It stops stuff from coming into the computer in the first place.
    Have had NO problems since installing it.
    Have a great day,
    fredg

Jan 25, 2005, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Thanks for the program name and the good rating, and info.
    I personally use Spyware Blaster from www.cnet.com/downloads.
    It stops stuff from coming into the computer in the first place.
    Have had NO problems since installing it.
    Have a great day,
    fredg
    Spyware Blaster acts like winpatrol then in stopping things before they get on your computer. Also winpatrol blocks cookies, gives you tasks that are active, displays startup information, you can obtain domain name information when you are connected to the net and displays re-start commands (never use this feature) so for a small program it does accomplish a lot. Plan to go to his site and download ver 8 which has new features along with those mentioned above. Just love this program as I'm sure you like yours for the things it does. Take care.

Jan
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2005, 09:56 AM
    More help
    Spyblaster and the others are all good, but used alone, there is no single 1 or 2 that protect everyone from everything.

Spyblaster has a database it uses to protect you, if it's not in the database then you won't be protected from that particular item, that's why you need other programs to help protect you, you can check out one of the Spyware help files I have added to many of these forums for the best of the rest of the programs I have found helpful.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Page different on IE & Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my Yahoo home page is different in Firefox & IE. What would the reason be for this? How do you change these pages to look the same?

Can`t change home page [ 4 Answers ]

When I go into internet options to change my home page, none of the buttons will let me click on them in the home page area so I cannot change my home page, any ideas anyone. Thanks in advance, Mike

Home Page Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I can`t change my home page in internet options, where it says " you can change which page to use for your homepage" the links are grey and not clickable? Any advice anybody, thanks Mike.

Hijacked Home Page [ 3 Answers ]

My Home Page is continually hijacked. I have run all the latest updates for SpyBot and Adware6 (As of July, 31, 2004). They have removed an incredible amount of "junk" from my computer however I still get a homepage listed, res://gvwda.dll/index.html#44272. I have to enter "Tools" and manually...

Help me with home page... [ 1 Answers ]

I have big problem with my home page... when I start up my comp it is always same home page ------------------------------>go.targetsearch... a can fix it in internet tools but if I turn off my comp an again turn on----again that page?? Please help... This is probably the most frustration I've...

View more questions Search