Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pauljsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 05:40 PM
    A question I have wanted to ask for a long time is:
    Our solar system is situated in one of the outer spiral arms of the galaxy and surrounded by stars, why then do we see the milky way as a huge streak across the night sky.

Thank You
    Paul R
    UK
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Nov 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljsr View Post
    Our solar system is situated in one of the outer spiral arms of the galaxy and surrounded by stars, why then do we see the milky way as a huge streak across the night sky.

Thank You
    Paul R
    UK
    Hi Paul,

Basically this is because you are looking at it, 'side on' so to speak. A bit like raising your dinner plate up to your eye level. You won't see much of your dinner, but you will see the plate as a thin white line.

A very rough analogy I know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend wanted a break and needs time to think [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 and my girlfriend is 20 almost 21. We have been dating for almost three years. Roughly five days ago, she called me in the morning and informed me that at a party the previous night before, she got extremely drunk and made out with a guy. She called immediately and confessed to it and...

Hi I'm new here and I just wanted to ask are these question totally confidential [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know, that if you are in a big tension, what surat should you read?

So she wanted some time alone. [ 9 Answers ]

So I'll try to make it as short as possible. I started working at a new job and met this girl at this new job. She was in a relationship with some guy since she was 17 and it went on for 4 years. I was in a relationship as well when I met this girl. We started getting close because we had similar...

My girlfriend wanted a break. How long should I wait before I contact her? [ 25 Answers ]

I just found this site and I appreciate any advice I can get. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 1/2 years. We met through my cousin, her best friend, when she was 19 and I was 23 and I fell so hard I told her to move in with me and so we've been living together for pretty much the whole time....

View more questions Search