Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Littlebaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 05:57 AM
    My puppy has some kind of bug and don't know what it could be.
    I have a 12 week old puppy and she has these brown and black bugs, I think they are lice but not to sure... Its to expensive to take her to the vet so I'm hoping to find some answers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 27, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Frontline Advantage is 'expensive' but cheaper than a vet, and kills any bugs. Buy some ASAP and apply according to the dog's weight to the back of the neck.
    Don't try the cheaper brands in pet stores. They don't WORK, period. Neither do collars.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Nov 28, 2011, 03:33 AM
    Joypulv is right... it takes some power to kill most bugs on dogs.

Still not sure what you have, but am suspicious they're baby ticks. If you need a magnifying glass to see one very well, it's probably a newly hatched tick. They have only 6 legs, and are fairly dark colored. Many could be attached and feeding, so you may have to pull it off unless you can get a good look otherwise.

I have added a link to this supposed tick. It is unusual in that it will live in a house all winter long in cold climates. Lack of humidity is usually fatal to other types, but not this one. The female is big and fat, like a large swollen grape. It drops off the dog, climbs up (usually the wall) to get behind a picture frame, where she will lay a 'raft' of hundreds of eggs... all neatly deposited one layer thick on the wall. She then dies, and usually her shrunken body will be found at the base of the wall, under wherever she laid her eggs. If this isn't working for you, take a few of the 'bugs' in a small container of rubbing alcohol (it kills them) to the vet for an ID, or to someone else who won't charge you just to look. Pet store ? (ask the boss if anyone else just guesses).

Lice are white, and they will lay their eggs on the hair, where they look like tiny white drops, well attached to the hair shaft. Lice are very particular who they live on. People lice will not go aboard a dog, for example.

Here is the link. It's long, but info is good. There are a few pictures, but you can Google the name of the tick for other sites that have more. http://www.bugs.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/medical/brown_dog_tick.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of bug is this [ 2 Answers ]

Hello this bug was outside my home in Missouri it was around 6 inches long inclding wings never seen one before Prity scarry http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4757/10019150.jpg

What kind of bug is this? [ 5 Answers ]

Recently, I have been having these little bugs around my house(southern california), and in particular my room in increasing numbers. They are small, about the size of the head of a pin, and such are extremely hard for me to get a clear picture of with the camera I have available. From what I can...

What kind of bug [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I live in Virginia and in the summer while out side these very tiny bugs almost invisible bite me. I can only see them when bitten and look at the bit spot. They are tiny orangeish color. I believe they fly but possible jumping not sure. I have never been bitten by them until I moved to Va and...

What kind of bug is this? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. When I lived in Alabama, I found this caterpillar, or at least I think it's a caterpillar :), in front of my trailer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind it is and what they know about it. Thanks! Emily P.S. I took these pictures in 2005, so I would like to know soon...

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

View more questions Search