Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goodpix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Replacing electric cook-top with a gas cook-top. 30 amp breaker to 15 amp?
    I am replacing an electric cooktop with a gas cooktop. The electric cooktop is wired to a 30 amp breaker. The gas cook-top needs a 15 amp breaker. Do I need to pull the 30 amp service and run a new line from a new 15amp breaker? There is plenty of room in the panel to do this.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2011, 09:33 AM
    If you have 30 amps at cooktop, you can reidentify one as a neutral with white tape, and place on the neutral bar, you may need to pigtail a short piece of #12 or #14 to fit in breaker.
    Then change receptacle for new cooktop.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2011, 11:40 PM
    The breaker just protects the wiring; it has no other purpose. If you need a 15 amp receptacle I assume you are going from a 240 volt to a 120 volt receptacle. Just take one of the wires off the double breaker and put it on neutral so you have a hot, a neutral, and a ground. Then change out the breaker to a 15 amp (not really necessary) and put the hot wire into it. From the gas cook-top you will have a black (hot), white (neutral), and green (ground). If it plugs in you will have to wire a receptacle in which case you will wire hot to brass screw, neutral to silver screw, and ground to green screw. It's very simple. DrTom4444
    bcsros Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2011, 09:45 PM
    I wish I know about this.. but.. I don't sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vertical Clearance cook top to microwave [ 7 Answers ]

Thank you to everyone who reviews this question. I am looking for specific code reference and explanations to take to our builder. Our new construction home is nearly complete, in fact we close tomorrow. A point of contention between us and the builder has been the height that the microwave...

Why NOT shorten armored cook top cable? [ 2 Answers ]

The GE cook top 4-foot armored cable is much longer than needed. Why does it say NOT to cut it? I'd rather get it out of the way and also have less wire in the circuit. Thank you, Robert

Kitchen cook top [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 40 amp dedicated circuit for a cook top wired with 8-3 wire containing four wires, white, black, red and copper. The cook top I purchased has three wires, black, red and copper. Why doesen't the cook top have a white (netural) wire? And what do I do with the white wire?

Wire size for apartment-sized oven/cook top [ 27 Answers ]

Well I've spent several months reading responses to questions on here before deciding it was time to post a question of my own. Tkrussel, you should know that your no-nonsense direction and input has been very helpful to me during the last few months as I have been rewiring a cabin I purchased...

Cook top [ 1 Answers ]

How do you install a cooktop and oven made by belanger?

View more questions Search