Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
    Recessed light turn off and on by itself
    I recently remodeled my basement and the contractor installed recessed lighting. There are 14 different recessed lights but one single recessed light turns off and on by itself. When I turn it on it comes on, but after about after an hour it goes off and stays off for about twenty minutes and then comes back on by itself. It will do this all night. What should I check for first? Thanks for any help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Call the contractor back if this was done recently. Some recess fixtures have a temperature overload sensor which kills them if they over heat. The over heating could be for real or it could be a faulty fixture, neither your responsibility if done recently.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Do you have insulation in the ceiling above the light?

If you do, it is entirely possible that the fixture that was used does not allow insulation to be within 3" of the light.

If it covers the light, then an over temperature sensor will kill the lamp until it has cooled enough to restart.
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
    The contractor goes out of state down south for the winter months. The actual light switch itself feels warm to the touch when it is on for a while and the other switches don't. When it goes off and on I also hear a distinctive click coming from the fixture.

Dec 21, 2011, 11:06 AM
    Its been almost a month since we were asking questions. Have you checked for insulation above the fixture? What is the wattage of your 14 bulbs and is the switch a dimmer or just a toggle?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
    The "click" you hear is the temperature overload sensor Ballenger told you about.

It could be weak and tripping off for no reason, or it could be doing it's job and heat is being captured by insulation.

So, if you are unable to get the original installer to correct the problem under warranty, you will need to hire another electrician to come in and evaluate the situation.

Dec 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
    Yep, sounds like the poster may not be able to do this work on his own so a new electrician might be in order. Me, I am a cheap son-of-a-gun and would unscrew the bulb and wait for the contractor to return in the Spring. That is if I found no insulation causing the over heating first.
    steve987654321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
    I have the same problem but I have two lights in the same circuit which both cut out at the same time. If one temperature sensor tripped would it knock out the other light in the circuit? It is also in a 4 way switch circuit in case that is relevant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Light Wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing 3 recessed lights. When I removed the old fixture I was surprised to see 4 sets of wires. One went to the light switch, another went to the power supply, and the other two went to various other rooms in my house. Can anyone look at my diagram and tell me how to hook up the three...

Recessed Light [ 2 Answers ]

I installed 2 recessed lights and connected them to a outlet close to where they placed. I also put a switch between the outlet and lights. When I turn the breaker on the lights come on so I thought the switch was on, when I went to turn the switch off it blows the breaker.

Recessed light awg [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a case of recessed lights that says' max (4) 12 awg through branch circuit conductors. The light circuit that I was planning of connecting to is 14 awg and connect to 20amps breaker. Entire house was wired with 14 awg (lights and plugs) with 20 amps breaker. Is there anyway I can...

Recessed Light and Air Duct [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started a project to install recessed light in my family room. Everything was checked and planned. All holes were cut and align properly... until the last hole. It appear that I have an air duct running right on top it. It's big and it has black plastic wrap enclosure. One of...

Recessed light installation [ 1 Answers ]

I posted a message here several weeks ago about a contractor who simply stapled the Bx cable for recessed lights to the bottom of the joist rather than running it through the joist (1st floor of 2 story home). The electrician has finally agreed to come back after much prodding and redo the work...

View more questions Search