Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlieaubyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
    Extensive dental work on a one year old.
    I have a 1 year old (21 months),daughter and I'm being told she needs to have resin based composite crown on 4-5 of her handful of baby teeth so they don't go bad before her permanent teeth come in.
    Also have a 7 year old that doesn't need anything like that and she eats candy like a fiend.
    Could it be that the dentist is trying to rip me off after seeing that I have a pretty good dental plan? I don't want to subject my baby to this extreme procedure which requires hospitalization, anesthesia etc. Also the out of pocket could come to a few hundred dollars. Research shows sealants may do the trick... thoughts?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
    Are the baby's problems caused by drinking from a bottle while in bed so she falls asleep at naptime or bedtime?

My older son had what is called "nursing bottle mouth" and at 18 months was hospitalized overnight, then had oral surgery to put in chrome crowns to save the spaces for permanent teeth, and to help him eat and learn to talk. He's had 40 years of tooth problems/fillings/braces.

His younger brother has a perfect dental arch, beautiful teeth, and has had only one cavity ever in his life. (He's 36 now.)

If nothing else, get a second opinion.
    charlieaubyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Basically from what I've gathered she has an issue with gradual decay from the back of the teeth.
    Brushing her teeth is done regularly, but very difficult. Takes 2 of us to her her down.
    May be due to 21 months breasfeeding which just ended 2 weeks now, but she would fall asleep with the breast in her mouth. Sleeps in the bed with her mom. Allergic to milk so calcium and other nutrients an issue.
    Now beginning to take formula fortified with necessary nutrients.. though not sure how helpful this will be or if it can reverse the progress of deterioration.
    Will get a second opinion from an in network dentist.
    Thanks.
    MrInformation Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 05:45 AM
    You should definitely do the research. And why do you think you would have to come out of pocket for a nice chunk of money?

I don't know if sealants will do the trick, it would be nice if they do, but I will say don't sacrifice service to save money. You might also want to compare dental plans, maybe you don't need to come out of pocket at all with the right plan.

Good luck
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2011, 05:30 PM
    Definitely get a second opinion. If baby teeth are decayed they definitely should be restored so they can keep the space for the adult teeth to grow and erupt. Some of the teeth she has need to last her until she is up to 12 yrs of age. Below is some information that may help a little.

http://www.aapd.org/media/pressreleases/breastfeeding-99.asp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Infection after dental work [ 2 Answers ]

In all my life, I have only had 2 infections after visiting the same dentist who is very rough, and I fear whose tools are not clean. I had an extraction a year ago, and she put a temporary bridge straight into the extraction site, after drilling the 2 side teeth. Within a day I had a major...

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

Expensive Dental work [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have gotten a lot of work done on my teeth and have maxed out my insurance. I never knew that Dental Insurance Companies will only cover up to $1500 (at least with my plan) per year. I have gotten a Root Canal and two crowns done so I am maxed out. I also have a Flex Spending Plan,...

No insurance dental work [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 53 year old woman who is on disability. I have medicare, but no other insurance. I am not eligible for medicaid. I need dental work done, extensive dental work and eye glasses. Are there any facilities around that does dental or vision care for free? If not for free, then at a more...

Dental work [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 28 year old single mother of two. I need a lot of dental work and I have no dental insurance and cannot afford to have this work done. Almost all of my teeth are broken down to the gum and they always hurt. I think what hurts most is that I cannot smile or laugh anymore. I hate talking face...

View more questions Search