Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dominickim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Convert propane gas to the natural gas dryer
    I have a dryer in the basement that need to be used in propane gas but my current set up is through natural gas.
    I didn't realize until I try to dry the clothes but it was taking much much longer time...

Is there any way that I can convert the natural gas?

. Let me know

Thanks
    lanodel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Yes, you can certainly do this. Your dryer most likely came from the factory ready for natural gas. Someone converted it to allow for propane. I've never heard of a dryer coming from the factory ready for propane. Basically, you have to change the orafice which is a little round thing that controls the amount of gas that passes through and into dryer to be burned and create heat. When using natural gas you need a bigger orafice. Propane contains more energy (more concentrated), so it requires a smaller orafice. You need to take the front of your dryer off and change back to a bigger orafice. You can order kits off the Internet or go to any maytag, sears, etc. store.

I did it myself, but I wouldn't recommend it. It isn't hard, but gas isn't something to play around with. I would go to the Maytag repair shop and ask them to do it. It is a 30 minute job and should't cost more than $100. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting dryer to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a dryer that was converted to propane gas. There were 2 orifices that came with the dryer to convert it back to natural gas. I was wondering which one I need to use to do this. One orifice has a hole coming from top to bottom. The other has a hole coming from the side to the bottom. Maybe...

Propane/Natural Gas Logs [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit to switch Natural gas logs to burn propane? And where could I get it at? Thanks

Converting from propane to natural gas [ 2 Answers ]

Many years ago, I moved out into the country and built my house using propane. Now, natural gas has come into my neighborhood and I would like to eliminate the propane, the tank and the overpriced service for my house. I called the local gas provider who instructed me that I need to give them a...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

View more questions Search