Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyHalliwell Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Nov 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
    Photography
    AT Christmas I am getting a Sony Alpha A200, and my mum has recently bought it and it comes with the original lense (sony) and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO and the power contacts are different there are only 5 contact plates on the Sigma but there are 9 contact plates on the actual camera. We don't know if that's the problem. The problem is that when it is connected the bit that should extend does not unless you give it a hard pull, this is on manual, but the man said it doesn't work on automatic because of a ring plate fault, but even when I have pulled it out it still doesent focus, and if I do get it focused it moves itself and then becomes un-focused, my sister does photography and she has a sony alpha a450 but we diddent try hers with it. The other smaller sony lense works fine. PLEASE HELP WORLD! Thanks Lots Lots :)
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Hmmm... Well, for one, you shouldn't be pulling on the focus ring... You should turn the focus ring...

Start with the camera off. Put your "problem lens" onto the body. Turn the camera on. Set the focus switch to manual. (If it is already there then switch it to auto then to manual again.) The camera should turn the lens slightly when put into auto and then it will likely turn a little bit more when you switch it back... At this point the focus ring should be completely loose. Look through the view finder and turn the focus ring left and right a bit to see how it feels.

If the focus ring is not loose at this point then I would probably not use the lens... If the camera can't control the focus when set to auto then there is a very likely chance that the lens either is not correct for the camera (but still mounts) or the lens is flat busted...

Personally, I won't buy a used lens for my Sony unless it is a Sony or Minolta lens. I'll buy other brands only if they are brand new from the manufacturer and I specify the Sony/Minolta Alpha mount.

Look around online for a replacement 70-300 or a 70-210... I got a 70-210 for about $50 used from a guy on craigslist. The lens is Minolta and I tested it before I decided to buy. Always test the lens first then decide if you want to buy. Any mechanical problems or visible scratches on either lens surface and reject the lens and save your cash...

I just took a second look at your question... When you say "the bit that should extend" this should be the focus ring which extends out when you turn the focal length ring. Like I said, don't pull on it... Turn the larger ring first to extend it... The extension then turns more when you focus... And the contact plate problem sounds like a big problem... Maybe somebody altered the lens to have a Sony mount but another brands connectors...

Good Luck...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Is this the lens you have for your camera ?

Amazon.com: Sigma APO 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens for Sony Alpha A700, A200, A100 Digital SLR: Camera & Photo

Nov 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Yes But It Is Not The 'APO' :)

Nov 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Thanks Everyone, I Will Have Another Go :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A-1 photography [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help with a-1 photography practice sets please:eek:

A1 Photography [ 0 Answers ]

I have entered all my transactions for the month and my dollar figure is $171705.00. This is the figure quoted in the book as being correct. The next step is to post (clicking on the blue exclamation point). I have tried and it will not let me post. I have spent a lot of hours on this and I...

View more questions Search