Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 8, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Philosophy
    Is philosophy a concept or a study?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 8, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I know it as a discipline, or a system of concepts or even in a casual sense a study.

Here is the definition from Merriam/Websters, if that helps

Main Entry: phi·los·o·phy

Pronunciation: \fə-ˈlä-s(ə-)fē\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -phies
    Etymology: Middle English philosophie, from Anglo-French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek, from philosophos philosopher
    Date: 14th century
    1 a (1): all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts (2): the sciences and liberal arts exclusive of medicine, law, and theology <a doctor of philosophy> (3): the 4-year college course of a major seminary b (1)archaic : physical science (2): ethics c: a discipline comprising as its core logic, aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology
    2 a: pursuit of wisdom b: a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means c: an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs
    3 a: a system of philosophical concepts b: a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought <the philosophy of war>
    4 a: the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group b: calmness of temper and judgment befitting a philosopher

Feb 8, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Oh, that's interesting!

Feb 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Why are some studies academic and some applied? Like sociology. When I looked at a wikipedia articles on it, I came across something like this: Sociology is an academic and applied discipline that studies society and human social interaction.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:17 PM
    It may be that there are two basic versions or branches of it, one that is further researched, studied, and likely taught (got to pay those bills somehow) in the academic world and another that is more like a field application where what is already known is used in some tangible way or raw data is collected to feed to all those hungry academia types. I mean, shoot, I am only guessing off the top of my not very university-educated head here so bear with me if that seemed too plain. Rather like the difference between a clinical psychologist and a research psychologist -- one has clients and insurance companies LOL and the other has data, studies and published works? Hmm maybe that is a bad analogy, too.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:21 PM
    That makes sense. Well, sort of. I thought it was because you could have applied sociology or academic sociology.

Feb 28, 2007, 04:33 PM
    LOL, did I just summarize your paragraph with one sentence?

Feb 28, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    LOL, did I just summarize your paragraph with one sentence?
    Sure looks like it! :D

Feb 28, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Sure looks like it! :D
    LOL. Maybe I should be a writer...
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Mar 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Is philosophy a concept or a study?
    It is a search for knowledge, a search for the truths and an understanding of what those truths are and how they came to be.

Mar 27, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    It is a search for knowledge, a search for the truths and an understanding of what those truths are and how they came to be.
    I see. I can't argue with that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philosophy Debate [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

My philosophy [ 9 Answers ]

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is Getting a little dull, but that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus and it's...

Philosophy and psychology [ 5 Answers ]

How important are philosophy courses to the training of a psychologist?

Yoga Philosophy And The Job Search [ 1 Answers ]

How would Yoga philosophy including the Vedas and the Gita deal with job lay-offs and having to find a new job?

View more questions Search