Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gatnus Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2004, 12:54 PM
    Sewage odor in bathroom
    We had just moved into a condo and are located on the 3rd floor. We now find that there is a sewage smell in the main bathroom every day.

How can we find out what can possible be causing this?

We also notice that the water in the bathroom toilet appears to have water flowing back and forth into it at certain times although it had previously not been flushed for hours.

Lastly, can this be a problem with the drain system set up for our bathroom toilet? If so, is this considered a common element in a condo or does the owner have responsiblility for fixing this.

Your prompt response to [email protected] is most welcomed as we have no one to ask for help.

Thank you,

gatnus
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2004, 04:02 PM
    Stinky Bath Room
    Are you located on the upper floor of the building? The water moving in your toilet could very well be caused by a vacume set up in the vent pipe by wind blowing over the vent pipe on the roof. Sniff around the tub, shower and lavatory drain and see if the smell's worse there. I have found that rotting hair in the line can smell up a entire unit. Try to localize it and get back to me. If you can pinpoint the odor I can instruct you on its removal. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terrible odor in bathroom [ 12 Answers ]

I have a nasty odor in my master bathroom that comes and goes but when it is here it overcomes you!! I have smelt the shower and sink drains and aira and heating vents to see if the smell was coming from any of those and I do not smell it in any of those places. I have no idea where ekse to look...

Sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

In the last few weeks, there's a sewage odor from the crawl space beneath our house that has got progressively worse. I tried to crawl under but due to health problems I couldn't get to the back of the house. Now I live in Los angeles, so I know it's not a septic tank issue. I'm afraid to call a...

Basement Sewage odor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Sorry if my question is redundant, but I searched the posts and couldn't quite find one that met the same situation I have encountered. My wife and I recently bought a home that was built 3 years ago. It has 3 bathrooms, one being in the basement. The problem we have noticed is a...

Sewage odor inside of the walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Sorry if this was covered already, but I have a “mysterious” smell problem. :eek: We recently had our leach field replaced and tank pumped. Since then a sewage odor occurs near the downstair bathroom in the basement, but also travels up the walls into the 2nd floor bedroom and basement and...

Sewage Odor Throughout House [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I found this site by accident and am hopeful someone can give me advice. We are experiencing a sewage type odor throughout the house whenever water is turned on. I believe it happens when it is traveling through the pipes, hopefully not under my home. It ONLY happens when water is used....

View more questions Search