Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepmama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 09:06 AM
    Insulating a 1947 masonary wall, brick venner home with plaster interior walls?
    We have found a beautiful 1947 home we are considering buying to downsize from our present 1993 stud wall home. Quite a difference in construction! We have always tried to be energy efficient in our homes. We were amazed at how COLD the walls were during the walk through. The attic revealed large masonary bricks--?4X6 or 8, with brick veneer exterior and plaster interior walls. We live in Southern Ill. Cold winters--0-30's, hot summers--90-100's. So.. we are wondering the best solution to insulate over all the exterior walls of the home, over the plaster, minimizing taking up room space. My husband would be able to do most of the work.
    What he would like to do is glue foam board over the plaster walls, screwing down sheetrock instead of adding interior stud walls. Is the foam board going to add enough insulation to be worth all the trouble? And can the sheetrock be screwed to the masonary walls?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 03:19 PM
    Foam board will only get you R.4-8 depending on the thickness but it's at least some improvement. If there is a cavity between the walls, you may be able to blow in or foam some insulating material but unless it is 3" or more you will not get much return for you $$. Rather than screwing the drywall to the masonry walls, he should nail/screw sleepers on the walls, glue the foam in the sleeper spacings and then screw the drywall to the sleepers. Much, much easier than screwing into the masonry. Make sure to use adhesive designed for foam. Google "insulating basment walls" for suggestions since they are almost always masonry. Make sure you have R-30+ in the attic, that's very critical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulating space between brick exterior walls? [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a 2300 sq ft brick home built in the 20's. It 2 walls... or 2 bricks thick with a good 3" gap between the bricks. Of course there is no insulation. I did a major revamp of the interior already, made a mistake and didn't use poly(?) foam board insulation on the exterior walls(under...

What should you use to wash interior plaster walls after using paint stripper? [ 1 Answers ]

We have washed it several times but the odor lingers. We have used baking soda, coffee grinds even cut onions but the odor lingers. Any suggestions as to what to use to make the odor of paint stipper go away?

Cleaning old white brick interior walls [ 1 Answers ]

My parents have a house built in the 50's- with a white/cream brick wall in the kitchen area. I would like to clean it, but don't know what to use. It's a rough texture. Does anyone know how I should clean it?

Insulating a Masonary Block Wall [ 3 Answers ]

Read a recent post that said never to use fiberglass insulation in a basement, too late walls are framed and insulation is in. The walls are cinder block and sealed with drylock. Vapor barrier is facing the warm side. You guys recommend ripping it out and putting foam in?

Removal of plaster from interior brick walls [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had success removing plaster from interior brick walls to expose the brick beneath? Would like to have the brick as the finished surface when removal is complete. It looks like a major portion of the plaster can be removed with a flat shovel. Are chemicals needed to remove the rest, or...

View more questions Search