Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moserk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Red Wine
    After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 03:49 PM
    There are a variety of factors that come into play here, namely;
    * Average room temperature
    * Temperature range
    * Amount of wine remaining in the bottle
    * Style of wine.

Now a cooler room temp will enable the wine to be keep longer, room temp is considered to be 18C.
    Small Temperature range is better, plus or minus a couple of degress.
    The more air in the bottle the faster the wine will oxidise.
    Big heavy reds, like Ozzie Shiraz, are more forgiving than light, Gamay, stlyes.

Now for the length of time to keep an open bottle.
    From experience, I would say MAX of a week if in a fridge and no more than 3 days if at room temp, unless it's a very cold room.
    After this time the wine starts to suffer from oxidisation and looses fruit and balance.
    All this assumes that all you are doing is just putting the cork back in the bottle to seal it.
    There are a number of "wine saving" stoppers on the market that remove excess air from the bottle in the hopes of keeping it fresher longer.
    One of the better ones is called Vacuvin. If one of these systems are used you may double the keeping times.

Hope this sheds some light on your problem.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 8, 2007, 05:10 PM
    When is anything to do with drinking wine every a problem?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Savage, too true.
    The only problem I have is finding the corkscrew ;)
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    When is anything to do with drinking wine every a problem?
    Three situations, in my experience:

Opening a bottle when I'm the only one around, and ending up not having to worry about storing the remainder.
    Wine-in-a-box. And I mean the stuff that's low end even for wine-in-a-box.
    Running out :)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moserk
    After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?
    If it's a corked red wine, it can be stored in the refrigerator 3-5 days, Even white wine, sparkling, or champagne will survive like this. The ideal situation would be to keep the opened bottles in a cool place away from direct light. If your going to store them for a few weeks it's best to store them on their sides ather than upright (corked varieties), because it'll keep the cork moist and airtight. White wine and champagne can also be just chilled before serving also. The idea conditions for wine is to store them in a temperature of @ 55 degrees, with a humidity level of about 70-80%.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wine [ 3 Answers ]

I don't drink, so all wine tastes the same to me. However, I do cook with it. IF a cake recipe calls for sherry or brandy, which of the following would be the closest to it. Cabernet sauvegon, burgundy, chadonnay, marsala, maderia. I have all these but not sherry or brandy.

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

View more questions Search