Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kiathewolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 06:51 PM
    Teacher took my phone and won't give it back unless I give her $15.00?
    Okay, today was a basketball game so all the students got out of class to watch it. Me and my friend didn't want to so me and her hid in the bathroom. I told her that me and another friend were having a fight and that she wouldn't stop texting and spreading rumors about me and a boy in my class. So my friend asked for the number of the other person and right as I was giving it to her, the teacher walked in and took my phone! I asked when I could have it back and she said if I have $15.00 I could get it back. I thought this is very unfair because me and my mom are very poor and my mom is single and has to take care of 2 children by herself. Besides, she didn't have the money because we are saving all we can for christmas because my mom has a disability and cannot get a job. I tried to devise a plan but lying would only make it worse so I asked if I could just do a couple of detentions to pay for it and she said ''no, if you don't have the money to pay for it, keep it out of sight'' is this illegal? Is it fair? What do I do now?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Report it to the school principal.
    sweetlady9911 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 07:00 PM
    First of all, you need to get an understanding of why your teacher wants fifteen dollars. Take a tape recorder and record his/her answers. The Teacher was supposed to turn your confiscated phone into the office. You need to approach the principal and explain your situation. However, your Mother is the best person to getyour phone back for you. No school official has the authority to steal your phone or charge you for your own phone. But... you have a phone you should be mature enough to know that everyone gets talked about, laughed at and rumors told about them.. it is just life. Does rumors and gossip define you or do you define you? Grow up and know only you give power to rumors and gossip. In time liars and gossips are exposed. Spend your time doing positive things. Reacting to rumors with arguments and violence only gives the gossipers and liars power to make you act a fool and suffer. Empower yourself and move on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlady9911 View Post
    First of all, you need to get an understanding of why your teacher wants fifteen dollars. Take a tape recorder and record his/her answers. The Teacher was supposed to turn your confiscated phone into the office. You need to approach the principal and expalin your situation. However, your Mother is the best person to getyour phone back for you. No school official has the authority to steal your phone or charge you for your own phone. But...you have a phone you should be mature enough to know that everyone gets talked about, laughed at and rumors told about them..it is just life. Does rumors and gossip define you or do you define you? Grow up and know only you give power to rumors and gossip. In time liars and gossips are exposed. Spend your time doing positive things. Reacting to rumors with arguments and violence only gives the gossipers and liars power to make you act a fool and suffer. Empower yourself and move on.

You have posted that you are a teacher. That puts you in a position of responsibility, of course. I am a little concerned about your use of the English language ("Does rumors ... define you ...") but perhaps you are not a teacher in the US.

In MY school district there are strict rules against using a cell phone during school hours. If it's confiscated it isn't STOLEN - it's CONFISCATED. That doesn't change having to pay to get it back, of course. I would check on the policy in this particular school before you advise that it is an illegal practice to CONFISCATE the phone.

It is, in fact, illegal (and you can be charged with a felony) if you tape record people without their knowledge in more than a few States. I HOPE this is not what you are advocating. Perhaps it is legal in the State where the person asking the question lives. I don't know what State that is.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 07:15 PM
    First it is fair to have it taken away, So your parents or parent needs to go to the school office and ask for the policy in returning the phone. If this is school policy that a fine or payment is made for their return and it is done to everyone, then that is just the rules.

Basically you hid, was not where you were suppose to be, and was using a phone you were not suppose to use during school.

So yes it is fair to be punished.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlady9911 View Post
    First of all, you need to get an understanding of why your teacher wants fifteen dollars. Take a tape recorder and record his/her answers.
    This is bad advice and may even be illegal. You are telling a high school (or maybe younger) to play detective. It is unnecessary and, potentially, dangerous.

The proper and only course of action is to report it to the school principal or dean of students or whoever is in charge of student discipline.

We have only the OP's account of what happened. We actually don't know if the confiscation was proper or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher took my iPhone away, won't give it back; gave 2 other students phone back. [ 9 Answers ]

I go to a high school. I got caught listening to music one day in class, my teacher took my phone away. I thought she was going to give it back at the end of the day. When I came and asked her, she said I was listening to music during a classmates presentation and my parent will have to pick it up...

View more questions Search