Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Nov 17, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Doctor assisted death
    I need to know if doctor assisted death is legal in Virginia and North Carolina.
    My grandmother is 79 years old and has suffered a massive/major stroke and is brain dead with no chance of ever recovering. Her living will states that she is not to be resuscitated and does not want to be a vegetable. Can anyone provide me a place or recommend a lawyer who can advise me on this. I appreciate your help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Are you asking about taking her off life support or something else?

If she is brain dead (as you say) Physician assisted death is not an option because in a Physician assisted death the medication must be self administered. She is incapable of self administering.

Have you discussed other options with her Physician?

Nov 17, 2011, 08:04 PM
    She is not on life support and her living will says that she does not want to be in a vegetative state. I'm just trying to find out the facts before I talk to the doctor.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
    The fact about Physician-assisted death is that it is not possible under these circumstances.

If she's not on life support of any type (she's not on a feeding tube?) there is little you or a Physician can do.

Nov 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
    Her living will states that there is to be no medicine/machines to keep her alive. I brought her home so she can die in peace. Thanks for your help
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
    I'm very familiar with living wills. My experience has been that they are often ignored.

She's lucky to have you.

Nov 20, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Yea. I just hope she passes quickly and does not suffer too much
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
    If she is not in a hospice program, see about it right away.
    They try to keep the person from feeling very much pain, and let them pass with dignity

Nov 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
    She is in hospice care at her house and my mother has moved in and is helping take care of her and keep her comfortable. She suffered a small stroke about 2 weeks ago and then last Friday suffered a massive stroke.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Play her favorite music or, if you don't know what that is, play harp music and David Lanz and Jim Brickman, make sure the room smells nice (aromatherapy), hold her hand and reminisce with her (even if you don't think she can hear you) about the "olden days" when the two of you had good times (shopping or dinners or holidays), lightly massage her hands and feet and arms with pleasant-smelling creams, avoid bright lights and loud voices.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2011, 07:46 AM
    I should have mentioned the "hear you" part. You can never be 100% sure that a person cannot hear what is going on. I absolutely allowed no one to say anything upsetting in my late husband's presence during his last days - and that included medical personnel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assisted living in a different state? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is a New York resident but we are considering moving her to assisted living in New Jersey. Would she need to pay taxes in both states? She has no income other than social security and a pension. We are going to be maintaining her apartment in New York for at least the first year.

Mom needs assisted care [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do. My moms mental state is interferring with her making rational decisions.She is delusional. She's been like this a long time .She moved down south from the midwest last year. I and my family moved her. She has 9 kids but she did not raise any of us. She had no one else that was...

Assisted Suicide? [ 20 Answers ]

I read an article today which I have included below. Talks about a Canadian couple who want to die together. The husband is terminally ill although the wife isn't terminally ill, they've decided to move to Switzerland and have the process done there because assisted suicide isn't illegal there....

Assisted Living [ 4 Answers ]

How do I write a letter of introuction to or an Alzheimers Asiisted Livning?

Should assisted suicide be a crime! [ 54 Answers ]

The anguish of those suffering a terminal illness and debilitating pain have led some to ask for help in ending their lives and the pain. Most states frown on helping bring peace to the suffering and the most famous Dr Kevorkian finally went to jail for his part in ending the pain/suffering of...

View more questions Search