Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arkfeld10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Rate-time distance problems help?
    At noon a private plane left Austin for Los Angelas, 2100 km away, flying at 500 km/h. One hour later a jet left Los Angelas for Austin at 700 km/h. At what time do they pass each other?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 05:19 AM
    The distance covered by the private plane is given by:

The distance covered by the jet is given by:

Since it departed 1 hour later (at t = 1, it hasn't covered any distance).

The sum of both distances now give a total of 2100 km, if they meet (the part covered by the jet and the part covered by the private plane equal the total distance).

Just substitute the equations in there and find t, the time they took to meet each other. Then add that t in hours to noon to get the time they meet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

rate x distance time problems mcdougal little? [ 1 Answers ]

A bus traveled 387km in 5 hours. One hour of the trip was in city traffic. The bus's city speed was just half of its speed on open highway. The rest of the trip was on open highway. FInd the bus's city speed.

Distance,rate, and time problems [ 2 Answers ]

At the same time Kris leaves Washington, D.C. For Detroit, Amy leaves Detroit for Washington, D.C. The distance between the cities is 510 miles. Amy's speed is 5 mph faster than Kris. How fast is Kris driving if they pass each other in 6 hours?

Rate - time - distance problem [ 4 Answers ]

A state police officer is chasing a car he believes is speeding. The officer is traveling at 70mph to try and catch up with the car. But he can't say later that the other car was going 70mph because the driver could ask, "If we were going the same speed, how did you catch up? Obviously I was going...

Rate-Time-Distance problem.. help! [ 4 Answers ]

I don't get his "Rate-Time-Distance" Problem given to me... it's confusing to me!:confused: :eek: HELP!:eek: Can you show me how to do it?? :D Here's the problem... :) At. 7:00 am Mr. Van starts jogging at 6 mi/h. At 7:10 am you start after him along the same path. How fast must you...

View more questions Search