Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmkollel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
    Non- Profit Using a DBA
    I have a 501 (c) 3 non-profit org, and I am Setting up a DBA for it. When issuing receipts for donations that are made to the DBA, can I issue the receipt on the stationary of the DBA or must I issue it on the stationary of the parent org. which is the only one registered with the IRS as tax deductible

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 10:40 PM
    My understanding ( we do the same thing) the parent corporation that is the tax exempt group is to have their name on the receipt for donation, Normally listed, corporation name DBA name activity is done in.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2011, 09:14 AM
    I serve on a d/b/a under a not-for-profit in my community. Receipts are written on the n/f/p letterhead.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Fr_Chuck and JudyKayTee are right. Think of it this way. Donor donates $100 and gets a receipt. Donor gets audited. IRS auditor needs to be able to look at the receipt and determine if the entity that received the donation is in fact a recognized 501 (c) (3) orgainzation. How would the auditor know that otherwise?

It is possible to do it the other way, assuming the d/b/a's letterhead says something like "A subsidiary of [nonprofit], a not for profit organization."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I receive donations and resale as a profit with out being a non-profit business. [ 1 Answers ]

Im planning on opening a thrift store, my question is can I receive donations and resale for A profit with out being a non-profit business.

The profit maximizin outputand maximum amount of profit [ 1 Answers ]

a single product firm operating ina perfectly competitive markethas the following total cost function: C= Q³- 5/2 Q²+2Q+5 given that market price per unit of output Rs. 10.00 find the firm's profit function?

View more questions Search