Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2004, 07:06 PM
    110v vs 220v Appliances
    I am redoing a house, and am replacing many appliances (water heater, room air conditioner, mini oven/stove). For each of these, I have the choice of either choosing 110v or 220v applicances. I've always wanted to know:

- Is there an advantage to installing 220v appliances.
    - Is it cheaper to run 220v appliances.
    - Are 220v appliances more expensive.
    - Are 220v applicances more powerful. I've seen an oven/stove in both 110v and 220v. Would the 220v heat up faster.
    - Are 220v applicances more dangerous.
    - 220v applicances use more volts but less amps, does that make a difference since the total watts are the same.

Thanks,

Glenn
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2004, 07:08 PM
    Most of the larger electrical appliances are only available in the 220. For a given wire size, you can conduct twice as much electricity with the 220. If you are going to have a light or timer on a range, you must run a 3 conductor cable for 220. 220 shouldn't be anymore dangerous that 110. The 2 wires are 220 volts to each other, but really the same 110 above ground as the rest of the house, just opposite charge at any given time. As long as you can find 110 appliances that are adequate for your purpose, you may as well use them. The 220 might heat up faster because it is a more powerful unit. Watch not plugging in too many things into the same circuit with high capacity. Each appliance may need its own circuit 110, or 220.
    k4s2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2004, 07:12 PM
    Is it cheaper to run 220v appliances? (over free-standing 110 v ones?)
    Ah. Thank you. But, the question I hoped SOMEone would answer was:
    " Is it cheaper to run 220v appliances? (over free-standing 110 v ones?)"

We want a stainless-steel pressure-cooker to replace our aluminum one. We were told by one source to be SURE to get an electric one with 110v... and by another authority to get a regular pressure-cooker & use the 220v stove burner (regular electric cooktop with coil-burners).

APS (AZ electric company) says at their site that a small-coil regular cooktop burner costs about $1/month for 1/2 hour/day, a large burner costs $2/month for 1/2 hour/day, a range-oven (at 350o) costs $1.25/month for 1/2 hour/day -and a broiler costs $1.75/month for 1/2 hour/day.
    ALL these big appliances run at 220 v. (Double the figures at 1 hour/day).

SO, will a 110v appliance cost more to use than using the stove, -or SAVE?

The electric-company has no figures for pressure-cookers, but says a microwave OR an electric-skillet costs $1.75/month for 1/2 hour/day (the SAME as a 220 v. broiler), a toaster-oven costs $1.30/month for a half-hour/day (more than a small burner/less than a large one), a crockpot costs $1/month for "2 uses/week-7 hrs total" (= to .50 cents/month if it were 1/2 hour/day) & each lg. pot of coffee/day costs $.50 cents/mo.($1/mo. For 2 pots/day -c. 1/2 hour to brew 2). ALL these run at 110 v.

So, if a 110 v electric pressure-cooker uses the same wattage as a crockpot, it'll save $1.50/month over using a pressure-cooker pan on a 220 v lg. burner. BUT, if the electric cooker uses the same watts as an electric-skillet (both at 110 v), it will only save the chef $.25 cents/month over the traditional-style pressure-cooker on a large 220 v cooktop burner..

In any case... it appears that 110 v vs. 220 v is NOT a big deal.

Kay
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2004, 08:24 AM
    I would vote for the regular pressure cooker on the 220 stove top. Likely they are cheaper, and will last forever with maybe a new gasket eventually. A good argument for buying a brand you have heard of and may be around in 20 years when you need a gasket. The heating element in a 110 volt one may burn out, a thermostat go bad, or the cord get damaged shortening the life. I have not been able to keep coffee makers very long. You may gain a little efficiency with the electric one due to better heat transfer. On the other hand, if you apply full power to the stove top, it may heat up faster, but then not use much more power at temperature when you turn it down. Of course, the heating elements of the stove top have to be replaced occasionally too.

Bottom line, the regular model on the stove top may use slightly more electricity, but the over all total cost over 10-20 years may be less.
    k4s2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2004, 05:26 PM
    Finding the right pressure-cooker
    Thanks Labman. That's what I decided, too. Now to find a stainless-steel 10 quart pressure-cooker from a familiar company at a good price... with dimensions to also use it for canning (preserves). Many of the European brands add more space/quarts by simply going taller. I want one that will can at least 4-6 jars at once (though its main use is just for plain-old meals). My old aluminum 10 qt is 7" tall by 11" wide so I may just keep it for canning... & enjoy just the healthier food from the new stainless.

No matter which one I get... I'm buying an extra gasket or 2 with the cooker, as you're right: by the time I need one, it may be hard to find it, if the pan isn't from a well-known company. Our last gasket lasted 8 years... and by then, many "start-up" companies will have folded. Thanks for the thought.

K4S2 :o
    Joe of Idaho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Hi, Basically electricity does work and the advantage of higher voltage is smaller wires. Your heating/cooking should cost the same with 220v or 110v. The higher voltage does typically have a faster capability of heating and that can be to your advantage.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 18, 2007, 08:06 AM
    One very important thing to keep in mind when reworking the electrical in your home is resale value. If you wire appliances for 120V when most appliances are 240V, you may have a heck of a time selling the home. I know I would never buy a home that didn't have the range, oven, dryer, etc set up for 240V. I would have to rewire it all to get my appliances on line. So even though you opt for 120V appliances, make sure you also run 240V circuits.
    Potpot21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 03:33 AM
    110v and 220v aplliances are designed to worked in the given voltages.. So I think there's no difference between two. Though I think 110v appliances consume less power...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 04:14 AM
    Pot, I can have an appliance that can use either 120 or 240 volts, but the "power consumed ", wattage rating is the same. What you think, "I think 110v appliances consume less power...", is mistaken.

Being able to use a higher voltage for any unit will save in material and labor costs, as a smaller wire can be used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

Rewiring 220V coffee maker to 110V [ 4 Answers ]

I want to buy a vintage European coffeemaker with a heating element (220V 50hz) and do whatever is necessary to get it to plug safely into a standard two-prong or three-prong wall outlet here in the USA. I've read some answers here about converting a 220V appliance to 110V, but the answers...

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search