Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dptp9lf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Max subpanel breaker for 100 amp main service
    HI.
    I have a 100 amp service panel in my home. What is the largest subpanel breaker I can use on this setup. This is for a garage/shop running small compressor, battery charger, small benchtop tools, 3/4hp 110 lathe, 3/4 hp 110 mill, small welder, but not all at once.
    Can I run 100 amps or should it be less than the main.
    Thanks for you advice,
    Lyle
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2011, 03:46 AM
    You can use a 100 amp breaker if you like. The issue is the chance of overloading your 100 amp main.
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 07:37 AM
    On all machinery you have a ID tag telling you what the machine uses for instance, 120 volts/ 15 amps 230/240 V/ 6.5 amps.. Lesser voltage requires more amps, ( @ 120 V you might use 15 amps,but when you hook it up using 240 you'll use approx. 1/2 the power or amps ) look at your highest recommended amp output from your choice of all your tools, if it's say 30 amps, put a 50 or 60 in to be safe. Like you said, you can only use 1 at a time plus the lighting... You should be safe

Nov 16, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Thanks TK,
    I doubt if I'll ever use 100 amps but wanted to make sure it's feasible.
    Cheers,
    Lyle
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 09:55 AM
    To begin with you are going at this backwards.

You need to calculate the anticipated load for your shop and then size the feeder cable and breaker for that amount or slightly larger.

For example you may only need 40 or 50 amps in the shop and not 100 amps.

Next you need to make sure that the existing panelboard allows for the size breaker you want to use.

I seriously doubt that a manufacturer of a 100 amp. Panelboard is going to allow a 100 amp breaker to be used. Call the manufacturer and verify this.

While it is possible, it would be a bad to do that.

Nov 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
    Thanks guys for all your answers. Small 30 amp welder would be the highest amperage item so I will go with the 60 amp which will be cheaper as well. I look at the size of #3 wire and can't imagine a breaker with that size lugs.
    Anway, thanks again
    Lyle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage. [ 6 Answers ]

An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper. Also, what type wire for sunlight...

Can I downgrade a 200 amp service with a 200 amp main by adding a 100 amp breaker to [ 1 Answers ]

Can I downgrade a 200 amp service to a 100 amp service by adding a 100 amp breaker to the panel

100 amp main, 100 amp service wire, 200 amp sub panel? [ 2 Answers ]

I am moving my sub panel and upgrading to a 200 amp service, but in phases. The first phase is to move the panel due to some remodeling. I want to put a 200 amp panel in the laundry room with a 200 amp breaker. I have 100 amp feeder wire going to it (AL 2/2/2). Outside I have the meter can and...

How many conductors to wire a 100 amp main breaker subpanel in detached garage. [ 3 Answers ]

How many conductors do you have to run to a main breaker subpanel which is located in a garage 100 ft away. Can you get away with 2 hots and a neutral If you pound a ground rod at the subpanel. I cannot find the answer in the code book.

View more questions Search