Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zlandown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 06:02 PM
    How can you get someone in to a hospital to get sober?
    My brother has admitted to drinking in excess of 15 to 24 beers a day. Also reported to my sisters (55 and 62 years old) that he has not had a real bowel moment, only diarrhea in over 10 years. He becomes verbally abusive to my sisters, threatens them and becomes violent. He does not behave this way with me but I am the only recovering alcoholic in the family. He lives alone in Voluntown CT, 53 years old. Has had numerous head injury's, concussions. Also has, in the past, hallucinated, seen and talked with God, recalls memories that have not happened.
    My sisters want an intervention, I'd like him committed to a hospital. Who can I contact for help?
    Desperate
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 06:07 PM
    Try this for your area -- Alcoholics Anonymous:

Answering Services
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Treatment-refusing drinkers. That encompasses most problem drinkers and getting them help, that they will accept, is a formidable task.

AA, as Wondergirl has noted, is a resource for some. But how do you get the drinker to go?

An intervention? If so what type of intervention?

Confrontational (Johnson) Intervention, sometimes called ambush intervention. A technique in which members of the person's social network confront him or her about the damage the drinking has caused and the action they will take if treatment is refused.

This type of intervention must be well planned and timed. If you confront an ill-tempered intoxicated individual it is more likely that a fight will ensue than that the drinker will acquiesce.

I have found this type of intervention to be either unproductive or counter-productive. It certainly isn't a process to be undertaken without extensive planning and hopefully skilled guidance.

As an alternative, you might look into the CRAFT* method that relies on non-confrontational methods to encourage loved ones to enter treatment.

The method also can help family members improve the quality of their lives. One goal is to teach you how to encourage your substance user to reduce use and enter treatment. Another goal is to help you enhance your own quality of life. This non-confrontational approach teaches you how to figure out the best times and strategies to make small but powerful changes. And it will show you how to do so in a fashion that reduces relationship conflict.

CRAFT is a scientifically based behavioral intervention, has shown some impressive results and provides much needed direction to people who feel they have no where to turn. It does not require the drinker to admit to a problem nor does it require waiting for a calamity to occur to scare them into treatment.

This method is used by SMART RecoveryŽ for Family and Friends an organization that provides assistance and advice for family members or concerned others to engage treatment-refusing substance abusers into treatment.

A brief description of CRAFT can be found here

SMART RecoveryŽ for Family and Friends website here

And a thorough review of CRAFT by Bill Miller (1999) is available at the NIAAA website here.

If AA, SMART or CRAFT aren't to your liking, there are other readily available resources. Alcohol treatment, in fact the very concept of alcoholism, has changed directions in the last 10-20 years and recognized the need for diverse treatment approaches.

Just ask if you need additional advice. And Good Luck

*Community Reinforcement and Family Training

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Drunk or sober game? [ 4 Answers ]

Leaving the Roadhouse Inn after Christmas dinner. Get in passenger side truck. Letting Dan drive home. Too cold to pay attention. When is Dan going to walk out of the place? Finally there he is. Thinking why are you getting into the truck next to ours! OOPS!! Can't find the door handle to get...

Sober living? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are going threw a really tough time rightnow. He just got clean from substance abuse and has been doing great but the problem is he moved into a halfway house where the director is CRAZY! She does things that directors should not do for example take his phone away, ground him, is...

W32.Sober.x@mm! [ 3 Answers ]

W32.Sober.x@mm! I have a computer here that is being assaulted by it's email's through Microsoft Outlook. I've ran many different Antivirus software programs, and 3 different worm removal tools including the one in the link I've posted. Every scan and every worm removal tool has reported no...

View more questions Search