Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdlover2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
    I want to file a small claim case against an auction house via the internet
    Greetings. I purchased a lot of antique beaded purses from an auction house and they described the items as 'beading superb'. When they arrived there were numerous holes and significant beading missing and stained. It was fraudulent description in order to entice a bid. I contacted the auction house and they refuse to accept a return and refund my money. So, I would like to file a small claim case against them. I live in Nebraska and their auction house is located in Maryland. However, they were purchased via Proxibid website which is also located in Nebraska. Can I file a small claim case against them here in Omaha, NE? Thanks for your help. Laura
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 05:52 PM
    Did you read the Prixibid user agreement?

In particular,

"...6.3 Disputes between Users
    In the event of a dispute between you and another User, you agree to use good faith efforts to resolve the dispute, including contacting the other User by reasonable means and allowing the other User a reasonable time to respond. If you are unable to resolve a dispute directly with the other User through your own good faith efforts, you may contact our Operations Support Center and follow this process:

• Open a Dispute - If you are a Buyer, you must open a dispute within 45 calendar days of the date you made the payment for the item at the subject of the dispute. If you are a Seller, you must open a dispute within 10 calendar days from date of the event for the item at the subject of the dispute.
    • Respond to Proxibid's requests for information in a timely manner - During the dispute process, Proxibid may require you to provide documentation to support your position. You may be asked to provide receipts, third-party evaluations, police reports, or any other information or documentation that Proxibid specifies.
    ..."

You might want to look into this dispute resolution process.
    birdlover2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 06:38 PM
    I did try to get Proxibid to resolve the issue but they said the auction house refused to refund me. So now am contesting it with my bank because I used my debit card but the auction house said they will contest any efforts from my bank to recover fees. So if the bank rules against me to recover the funds, I am going to take it to small claims. So, I really need to know if I can file against the auction house in Nebr.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2011, 07:28 PM
    You can, most likely, file in Nebraska. But you have to understand, how are you going to collect? Even if you win, which seems likely, then what? Just because a judgment is issued against them doesn't they will say, oh well we lost here's your refund. You will have to find where they bank or some asset that you can seize.

I'm not sure I have an answer for you. I think your best bet is to pursue the issue with your bank and Proxibid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 10:01 PM
    They have a habit of this, you may want to goggle or bing, proxibid and the words fraud, or scam and see what all pops up.

I found many complaints of misrepresenting items and not giving refunds all over the internet

http://www.ripoffreport.com/auctions...fals-m3cd5.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I have to file a small claims case in nyc? [ 1 Answers ]

I billed a client last fall and now they are refusing to pay the final $1200. How long can I wait to file a case? I will be out of town frequently for the next month and I don't want to miss the court date. Can I wait till April to file in NYC?

How do I file a small claim in court? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file a claim in small claims court?

How to file a small claim [ 3 Answers ]

I need to file a small claim in Buffalo, NY and need to know the procedure.

A civil then a small claim summons was left at my house but the case does not exsist? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt. I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and...

Find former renters so I can file small claim [ 3 Answers ]

My renters moved out without paying rent or their electric bill. Also did a lot of damage. In order to file a claim against them, I have to have a current address. They left no forwarding address with me and only use cell phones. I do have a drivers license number and a social security number for...

View more questions Search