Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    currystwins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 02:51 PM
    What would make a leviton dimmer switch make a buzzing noise?
    What would make a leviton dimmer switch make a buzzing noise?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 06:11 PM
    Some of the noise depends on the circuitry of the dimmer and how the electricity is regulated. Does the buzz change with different light levels? Disappear when at full light? What wattage are you running and is this a standard 600 watt dimmer?
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Add the total wattage up on all the bulbs in that fixture.As long as it's not over the usual 600 watts you should be OK, but I've seen people buy dimmers and use them to knock off 2 birds with 1 stone ( dimming the light and adjusting the speed of a fan.) That's a no no.. But the way, on every light socket there's a label that tell's you the max wattage for each socket. Don't exceed it.. Also it's the nature of the beast for dimmers to become warm and hot to the touch from the wall plate.. More wattage-more heat..
    astrojc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 05:42 PM
    I have the same question and didn't see an answer here. I am running under 250 watts on a switch good to 600. And yes, it only buzzes when not at full brightness and is quiet when turned up but the point of the switch is to use it at lower levels.
    Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2013, 08:16 PM
    That has been a noticeable problem when at low load. Not sure why. Some people indicate it is due to some bulbs. Have you contacted Leviton customer service?
    astrojc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2013, 04:54 AM
    I found the problem after I posted this. I was a high efficiency bulb in one of the fixtures, I replaced it with a different type and buzz is gone. I hope this help someone else.

Thanks for the response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my heater make a loud buzzing noise [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn my heater on, it makes a loud buzzing noise. Fan runs and it seems that warm air is coming out. Is it OK to run?

Not able to make Chandlier work with Dimmer Switch [ 5 Answers ]

Yesterday I bought a new chandelier to replace my old one thatworked perfectly, using an existing dimmer switch. When I disconnected the old chandelier, I noticed there is old wiring and new wiring. My first mistake, I didn't pay attention to which wiring was connected to the old chandelier. I...

Dimmer switch buzzing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I recently installed a light dimmer switch in the bathroom. I now notice that a buzz eminates from the switch when it is used to dim the lights, but does not occur when the lights are on full bright. Any help and guidance will be appreciated. Thank you Neil:confused:

Leviton 057 Dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a Leviton 057 dimmer switch with two black wires and one that is green. The box in my apartment has two wires--both black, but one is much thicker than the other. I don't have the means of testing to see which is live. Can anyone please tell me which wires go where? Thanks for...

View more questions Search