Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heather30 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Closing 401k after being laid off
    My husband was laid off 8 months ago(company closed). He told HR and the corporate company that he wanted to close his 401k immediately after being laid off. The woman from HR told him she would talk to the bank and send him the appropriate paperwork but it would take some time. Well we kept calling her overtime and she kept saying the same thing. Now 8 mon ths has gone by and we called again. The company informed us that the woman who we spoke with is "no longer with the company" and they gave us the number to the bank holding his 401k. The man we spoke with there said we can't close it out until April. I don't understand this we desperately need the money now and I've been doing some research on here. Since his company closed we should be entitled to the money. HELP!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Did the person at the bank give you a specific reason as to why it will take until April? I assume that the bank you are referring to is the administrator for the company's 401(k) plan. There is no reason for such delay, unless perhaps the company has not forwarded either his personal contributions or company matching funds to the plan administrator (the bank).

Nov 15, 2011, 09:06 AM
    He said they have to add to it and have until April to do so... but he has $9,100 in there now, when they add to it it will $12,100 but why can't we have the $9,000 and be done with it?
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather30 View Post
    He said they have to add to it and have until April to do so...but he has $9,100 in there now, when they add to it it will $12,100 but why can't we have the $9,000 and be done with it?
    Good question - and what does the bank say?

Nov 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
    The administrator said that that is how the corporate company has it set up... I'm not fooled. I really feel like they're giving us the run around and I'm am thinking of contacting a lawyer, I just want a professional opinion before I do so. I want to make sure that I am right in thinking that this is a load of BS
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 09:50 AM
    In fact each company plan has its own rules around things like vesting and distributions. I suggest that you request a copy of the company's 401(k) plan documents from the administrator and see what they say about making withdrawals.

Nov 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Will do appreciate all your help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
    I suspect your husband worked for a small company. Many small companies only value the plans periodically, maybe quarterly, semi annually or even annually. So distributions can only be processed after the valuation. This may be the case with your husband's plan. You do realize that if you take a distribution now, depending on your husband's age, you will incur a 10% penalty to be paid when you file your 2011 tax return. In addition, the distribution will be subject to taxation, which may not be a big deal if he was unemployed for the last 8 months.

Nov 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
    I did know it would be roughly 30% they would take. I figured I would take the 10% and set it aside so I don't end up in a dilemma at tax time. We really need the money and don't have much of a choice. If we can't get this money out we're looking toward filing bankruptcy which is last resort for us. I'm also looking into taking out a 10k personal loan granted that someone will lend us one and paying that off in April when we are able to pull the 401k.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
    The 10% penalty will be paid when you file your taxes. They may withhold 20% for withholding against your actual tax liability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently lost his job and we were looking at closing his 401k account to help while he looks for a job. He has about 50000 in currently and about 6000 left on a loan. What would the penalties be for withdrawing. We live in Nevada with no state taxes.

Closing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

Apology in advance for the repetitive question but I couldn't find a topic specific to my situation. I am thinking of closing my 401k to pay back some urgent debt and to move. I have successfully avoided this for some time but now there is no choice. The balance isn't that large, about...

Laid off and had to use my 401K [ 4 Answers ]

I was 58 when I was separated from my last employer. I have not found a job and kept up my Cobra to cover a hip replacement. I had to use the money to cover my living expenses and co-pays. Will I have to pay the penalty on top of the other taxes?

Closing 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My son-in-law opened a 401k this year. His company told him that they are not getting a christmas bonus this year (they usually get a sizable one) and they are in need of money for taxes, christmas, etc. He asked about closing his 401k so he could use the money from that, but they told him he...

Closing my 401K? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm laid off from my place of employment and I'm currently in college full time. I need more money than I'm drawing on unemployment. My home, truck, debt and utility bills are more than I'm drawing. The only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier last year from the...

View more questions Search