Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gagoodenow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 05:28 PM
    504 plan for adults?
    I am a teacher in MA. I have had difficulty passing the Foundations of Reading test. I have multiple sclerosis and short term memory loss along with chronic fatigue. This makes it difficult to pass tests. Can the 504 plan help someone like me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
    The requirement of this test is to be able to teach. The 504 plan is to allow a student to partake of any Federal Program and a plan set up to allow them to contine in the program.

You are wanting to pass a test to be able to be employed. I do not see this referring to this.
    If you need some accomidation to take the test, perhaps do it verbal instead of in writing, Perhaps do it over shorter times and more days even you may because of your disability ask for some assistant. But you will have to pass the test.

I guess I have issues seeing you teach if you have short term memory loss and chronic fatigue ?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 9, 2012, 08:39 AM
    I have to agree with Fr_Chuck about the questionable wisdom of someone with the kinds of impairments you're describing opting to be a classroom teacher, but there are other ways to teach besides in the public school classroom, so I'm going to set that aside as a personal decision you'll have to make.

However, I also need to point out that Section 504 of ADA (Adults with Disabilities Act) IS available to you but only if you qualify as an "adult learner". In other words, you can expect and demand accommodations in an adult education setting (night school, college, graduate school, and so on), but that does not necessarily translate into accommodations for the taking and passing of a non-educational-setting test related to your employment prospects. If you were asking for accommodations in your college classroom, and you've been tested and found to meet the standards (here is a set of standards from Broward County, Florida, for you to check out: http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/ctace/a...0%20Manual.pdf) then you could demand whatever you need to allow you to learn. But you are already out of school, and qualifying for a job isn't covered as part of your education. ADA is a civil rights law about educational services.

I wish you luck as you work towards finding a niche in the world of teaching!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult 504 Plan [ 7 Answers ]

Can an adult have a 504 plan?

Can an adult get a 504 plan? [ 3 Answers ]

Can an adult get a 504 plan? A teacher friend of mind has high blood pressure which has proven to be drug resistant. Can she get a 504 plan requiring that she not be given a certain non-teaching duty that she presently has. This is a stressful duty that her doctor does not want her to continue...

Need 504 plan for grandson [ 23 Answers ]

I have several concerns and questions for those who are familiar with procedures in the TIER I, TIER II, and TIER III model. My grandson who now 9, was diagnosed at Medical Center with ADHD, ODD when he was 6. He was assessed as low to average in IQ. I believe he also has dyslexia but he is in...

504 laws [ 1 Answers ]

Once covered under a 504 are you always protected under the 504 or do you lose all protection if you no longer receive accommodations?

View more questions Search