Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidr67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Can a mother send a child on a plane without fathers consent?
    My daughter is seventeen years old and wants to fly to Florida to visit her sister. I have said no, but her mother said she's buying the ticket and sending her anyway. Our divorce paper states that she has to have my permission to leave the state, so what can I do if she sends her? I know she would be in contempt, but what will happen to her?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Just out of curiosity, why have you said no? (I traveled 600+ miles alone from college to home and back again when I was 17.)
    davidr67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 01:07 PM
    It's a matter of punishment for her grades and disrespect!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 01:11 PM
    I know this comes down to a legal issue, and I am not a legal expert, but am curious about the disrespect. Also, is there ongoing conflict about other stuff with your daughter's mother?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davidr67 View Post
    ... I know she would be in contempt, but what will happen to her?
    I suspect that, were your chld's mother to bother to go to court to over-ride your refusal to consent, the court would approve the trip. Maybe not, grades and respect to one's parent are important, but I would guess a trip of this nature is not what the out-of-state travel veto is for.

Assuming all of that, it could be that the court will let her off with a slap on the wrist. Just my guess.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Also, I suspect the court's requirement about leaving the state has to do with moving, not visiting. So, I don't think there would be consequences for her going for a visit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 05:37 PM
    I agree, I have serious doubts the "out of state" has anything to do with visits, vacation or other travel. It is about moving out of state.

Also there is nothing you can really do to stop her except attempt to take her to court but unless you have joint legal custody I doubt there will be much you can do.

If she is going to be there for a long time, Then your rights to visit with the child could be impaired.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I agree, I have serious doubts the "out of state" has anything to do with visits, vacation or other travel. It is about moving out of state.

Also there is nothing you can really do to stop her except attempt to take her to court but unless you have joint legal custody I doubt there will be much you can do.

If she is going to be there for a long time, Then your rights to visit with the child could be impaired.
    In my orders out of state was anytime. Did not matter if it was for a visit or just a 5 minute trip. That is why you were suppose to always notify if crossing a state line with the child. In some cases it can be considered kidnapping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers child support obligation when mother of child is married and doesn't work [ 9 Answers ]

What are my rights in child support issues in Arizona? I the father am the custodial parent, and primary residential parent. The mother of my child is married to another man and does not work or support herself. I the father pay $135 a month in support. Am I still obligated to pay child support?

Can your child be taken out of the country without the fathers consent [ 1 Answers ]

Can the mother of my child take my daughter out of the UK, without my concent?

Can mother take child from country without fathers consent [ 1 Answers ]

Couple have been married for 2 years and have a child inbritian. Mother is from the fillipines and father is british- have decided to split and mother is threatening to take child back to fillopines, can she take the child out of Britain without the fathers consent? Please Help!

Can a child be adopted without bioloical fathers consent [ 4 Answers ]

I have been married to my husband for 6 years.he has been father to my two children aged 16 and 13 for this time.My ex husband has not paid a penny towards my children for 7 years and as we now live in spain he only sees the children maybe once or twice a year when I take them back to england for a...

View more questions Search