Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjeff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Ceiling fan light doesn't work
    I have been having problems with the light on my fan for awhile. The fan works fine. They both work from pull strings. The light would flicker and I would take out the bulb and put it back in and it would work. When it flickered again, I would play with the bulb until it stayed on. Now, no matter what I do, I can't get it to stay on, but it does flicker at certain points. How do I fix?
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
    Jeff, first of all, how old is the fan? If it's pretty old the socket the bulb goes in needs replacement either because the homeowner screws the bulb in too tight which can be fixed sometimes simply by removing the bulb and then shutting off power to fan and with a flashlight shine it into the socket where you'll see a copper teardrop shaped connection dead center of socket. Take a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry up that contact to prevent it from bottoming out. Sometimes this is the problem often caused by over tightening the bulb. The most common problem is aged sockets which over time causes the wire or wires soldered or crimped to the end of the sockets to melt off or become too loose which causes faulty connections. You can either replace the socket for $3 at Lowe's or Home depot or any hardware store or buy a new light kit at any of the above mentioned stores. Either way you'll feel good about yourself when completed. Light kits are usually universal and don't require removal of the fan just the light section which is usually 3 tint screws or 1 screw off knob in the center..

Nov 14, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Jeff, first of all, how old is the fan? If it's pretty old the socket the bulb goes in needs replacement either because the homeowner screws the bulb in too tight which can be fixed sometimes simply by removing the bulb and then shutting off power to fan and with a flashlight shine it into the socket where you'll see a copper teardrop shaped connection dead center of socket. Take a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry up that contact to prevent it from bottoming out. Sometimes this is the problem often caused by over tightening the bulb. The most common problem is aged sockets which over time causes the wire or wires soldered or crimped to the end of the sockets to melt off or become too loose which causes faulty connections. You can either replace the socket for $3 at Lowe's or Home depot or any hardware store or buy a new light kit at any of the above mentioned stores. Either way you'll feel good about yourself when completed. Light kits are usually universal and don't require removal of the fan just the light section which is usually 3 tiny screws or 1 screw off knob in the center..

Nov 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
    Jeff, first of all, how old is the fan? If it's pretty old the socket the bulb goes in needs replacement either because the homeowner screws the bulb in too tight which can be fixed sometimes simply by removing the bulb and then shutting off power to fan and with a flashlight shine it into the socket where you'll see a copper teardrop shaped connection dead center of socket. Take a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry up that contact to prevent it from bottoming out. Sometimes this is the problem often caused by over tightening the bulb. The most common problem is aged sockets which over time causes the wire or wires soldered or crimped to the end of the sockets to melt off or become too loose which causes faulty connections. You can either replace the socket for $3 at Lowe's or Home depot or any hardware store or buy a new light kit at any of the above mentioned stores. Either way you'll feel good about yourself when completed. Light kits are usually universal and don't require removal of the fan just the light section which is usually 3 tiny screws or 1 screw off knob in the center.. Kits are cheap too..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
    I assume have tried replacing the bulb. James gives good advice. If the flicker continues with a new bulb thenI agree the socket is suspect. I have such a socket on my garage door opener. I greased the bulb threads with an electrical conducting grease I bought at Radio Shack. Heat Sink Grease (6g) - RadioShack.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Light Does Not Work [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan with 4 lights. One of the bulbs crackled a few times, popped and burned out. I replaced the bulb, but the new ones (I've tried several) do not work. Is there some kind of short in that receptacle? If so, can it most likely be fixed? Or, do I need to replace the entire...

Replaced ceiling fan light fixture, now fan won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ceiling fan. It was in the house when I bought it so I have no info on it. There are no tags or model #s on it. It is controlled by 2 separate wall mounted switches. One light dimmer and one fan speed controller. I wanted to update the light fixture on it so I removed it. Wiring...

How can I get ceiling fan / light to work? [ 4 Answers ]

My ceiling fan stopped in the middle of the night. I already checked the breakers and everything looks OK. I switched the breaker for the bedroom off and then back on. The remote control nor manual efforts have no effect on my harbor breeze ceiling fan. What can I do?

Ceiling fan light won't work [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am replacing an older, noisy fan/light (which both worked) with a new, quieter one. Both the old and the new are/were set to run the light off the wall switch and the fan off the pull chain. The problem is the wiring diagram shows only one white (neutral) wire coming from the...

Light won't work on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I had a ceiling fan installed, and the light on it quit working. I thought there was probably a problem with the light kit, but since I didn't like the fan, I replaced the whole thing with a new fan and light. The fan has always worked, but the light still doesn't. Any thoughts on what it could be?

View more questions Search