Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legalbegal2000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Litigation accuse
    Hi everyonei was wondering if someone could help me.. last evening at my grocery store I purchased 2 items with my debt card totaling approx 8 dollars asi was exiting store security gurd stopped me and said someone saw me put something in my kitbag... so he asked if he could search my kitbag... I said I will call police so they could witness the search... about 7 people therei nall including police which was very embarrassing for me and police started to interoget me asking for id etc. . then when I produce id he says he believe it not me anyway after about 1 hour in all they not search my bag and emplyess says never come back. . canh e do this even wheni never ever stole anything>... I he proceed to say I should not have taken 50 packs of little ketchupp wheni nfact it was only 5. for my chicken and tators... cani sue because I'm an honest shopper and was deeply embarased. . another thing buzzer wnt off for other wheni was being detained and the waved on through buzzer not even go off for me.. I asked the name of person who said he though he saw me put something in my bag but he said he not get his name.. andi asked if he knew item which was allegedly stolen and he said he not know which item it wa.. been shopping her3e 10 years off and on what shouldi do if any.. cani sue?or cani still shop there.. when he said I can't come back.. ty everyone for your help
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Hello legal:

I don't know if you can sue. Go see a lawyer. They won't charge you for the first visit, and if they think you have a case, they won't charge you anything unless you win.

In my humble opinion, however, you don't have a case. You WERE embarrassed, true. But, even if they were negligent in their handling of you, it didn't cost you anything. You have to show a monetary loss before you can collect damages.

Can the store prevent you from shopping there? Yes. It's a private company and they can choose who they do business with, as long as they don't discriminate against protected classes. Suspected shoplifters aren't in a protected class.

excon

Feb 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Ty exon.. but idid not shoplift anything... I think they just singled me out... protected classes you mean race etc... I am maloto and was wondering if this is this cause.. asi had other incidentsin past not regading shoplifting just discrimintory behavior from some people
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
    You would have to prove a pattern of them searching or banning a certain group of people to be able to show a case.

But what I really think is the issue here is you think you can get a big payday for them embarrassing you. That's not going to happen. You ddin't suffer anything more than some embarrassment. That's not enough to collect damages.

Feb 10, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Hi ty for your response.. but they bsay icannot come back to the store even though I not shoplift anything.. does this seem right
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Hello again, legal:

No, it's not right. But the law doesn't set every wrong back right again. Life isn't fair. That's the way it is.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Falsely accuse [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks for your replys.

Arbitration or litigation [ 4 Answers ]

I hope you can give a little advise. I have fallen behind on my credit cards and now am being threatened with binding arbitration. I was told that I should dispute the arbitration as a violation of my rights and go to litigation so I can be heard in a court of law. To me this sounds risky to jump...

Need Help on Fraudulant Will and Asbestos Litigation for my Father [ 2 Answers ]

I need some guidance. I believe that my mother has swindled my brother and I out of benefits if my Father’s Life Insurance and now an asbestos litigation. My father died 6 years ago from Asbestos cancer. My mother did not show us or send us copies of the will. She said that there was no life...

View more questions Search