Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Writing off a cross country move
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find a similar question.

This year, my husband and I moved from Texas to Minnesota. The move cost us roughly $5000.00, and I have kept every receipt involved in the move (Uhaul, gas, lodgings, etc). In past cross-country moves, we've been able to deduct the move due to it being work-related (my husband was transferred). This time, however, we moved to be closer to family due to health issues with both his parents and mine (nothing TOO serious; we just wanted to be closer in case something happened, as they are getting older).

My question is: Is a move like that deductible on our taxes even if it is not work-related? We are looking at paying quite a bit of money in taxes this year, and being able to (legally, obviously) write off the move would make that more manageable.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Did either of you change jobs?

If so, the move is work-related and therefore deductible.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Thank you very much
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cross country move in a rental truck [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am moving from San Francisco, CA to Pittsburgh, PA (2700 miles) and based on where the house I am living in is located, my only option in moving is to rent a truck and tow my car behind it. I am renting a 16 foot truck and a car carrier (not tow dolly) for my Honda Accord and would like...

Cross Country Move [ 3 Answers ]

I will be renting a trailer to move across country. (San Fran to Atlanta) I will be using a Honda Civic Hatchback to tow the trailer, moving about a studio apartments worth of stuff. I will be taking the southern route so there will be less hills than the northern route. I've never done this...

Move across the country, now divorce, WHAT'S NEXT?? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has been going through a very rough custody battle. 2 1/2 years ago his ex wife moved his 2 children to Colorado (we live in Ohio). Of course the judge here let her and the kids go. One year later they moved to California. Her husband was stationed in the military in CO and then...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Cross-over skills [ 7 Answers ]

It has long been recognized that skill sets from other sports can aid and enhance one's main sport. Does anyone have experiences to share related to using skills learned from other sports to enhance their main sport?

View more questions Search