Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa_katherin Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2007, 08:04 AM
    The request lookup key was not found in any active activation context
    Hi there

Please can somebody help me by guiding me on how to solve this problem I have with my internet.

Well the problem is when I type in a web address in the address bar on top but every time I click on Go it comes up with : "THE REQUEST LOOKUP KEY WAS NOT FOUND IN ANY ACTIVAITON CONTEXT"

The same thing also appears when I try to open an attachment from e-mail. I need this as I can't finish a presentation.

I don't know how to fix this problem
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Did this always happen? How do you connect to the Internet? Dial up, broadband, Network (Wifi)? What changes did you make before this started? Have you tried using System Restore to go back to before it started.
    lisa_katherin Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2007, 08:11 AM
    This always happens and I can't point out anything in particular to how it happened. I am on dial-up and its broadband.

Feb 8, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Huh? Its either dial up or broadband not both. You may not be able to point out anything, so you list everything that changed. We may be able to pick it out.
    gimpPAC Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 06:12 PM
    I'm having the same problem as lisa_katherin...

I just reinstalled Windows XP (not what I wanted to do) and my Internet Explorer address bar is not working. I type in an address and hit enter, an alert message pops up saying the following:

"The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context."

This also happened when I tried to go to "Online Support" from the Help menu or when I try to access my favorites. Luckily, I set Google as my home page and I can access different pages through the search, but that's a huge pain.

I have searched and found possible answers here:
    "Requested lookup key" IE7 Problem - MSDN Forums

Basically, try uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 and then reboot. If that doesn't work, it appears other users had to reformat their computer... @_@ Man, I sure hope I don't have to do that... I just spent all day installing programs on this stupid laptop. I'll let you know how that turns out for me...
    kurt20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 05:57 AM
    HI!
    Please can somebody help me by guiding me on how to solve this problem I have with my internet.

Well the problem is when I type in a web address in the address bar on top but every time I click on Go it comes up with : "THE REQUEST LOOKUP KEY WAS NOT FOUND IN ANY ACTIVAITON CONTEXT"

The same thing also appears when I try to open an attachment from e-mail, and when I am clicking links on web sites. I need this as I can't finish a presentation.

I don't know how to fix this problem, can someone please help?

Mar 4, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Did you read the answer posted by gimpPAC? Also check the link he provided. This seems to be a problem with IE7.

Mar 4, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Just an update from my end. Uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 did not work, so we had to wipe the computer. :( I hope this won't be the case for you all.

I think the reason this came up in the first place was that I accidentally started reinstalling windows when I wanted to install Office (I know, how do you mistake Windows for Office?? I was really tired at the time). I stopped the reinstall when I realized what I did, but I think perhaps that's when the damage was done. -.- I would recommend NOT stopping an install process for Windows once you begin! Or installing software when you are out of it. -.-

For the record, I'm a female, but there isn't really any way you could have known that...
    Lostkanuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2007, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa_katherin
    hi there

please can somebody help me by guiding me on how to solve this problem i have with my internet.

well the problem is when i type in a web address in the address bar on top but every time i click on Go it comes up with : "THE REQUEST LOOKUP KEY WAS NOT FOUND IN ANY ACTIVAITON CONTEXT"

the same thing also appears when i try to open an attachment from e-mail. i need this as i can't finish a presentation.

i don't know how to fix this problem
    Hi Lisa,
    If you haven't found the answer and for anyone else looking this solution worked for me. I installed XP Pro over top of a copy of XP Home. All of a sudden I started getting the above and got very frustrated...

It was because of IE7 the solution is to uninstall IE7 using the following command on the START -> RUN

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

This uninstalled IE7 and makes it so that you can reinstall it later.

Hope this helps

LostKanuk

Mar 16, 2007, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostkanuk
    Hi Lisa,
    If you haven't found the answer and for anyone else looking this solution worked for me. I installed XP Pro over top of a copy of XP Home. All of a sudden I started getting the above and got very frustrated...

It was because of IE7 the solution is to uninstall IE7 using the following command on the START -> RUN

Hope this helps

LostKanuk
    LostKanuk, is this method of uninstalling more "complete" than uninstalling through the Control Panel? I did my uninstall through the Control Panel and it seemed to have worked, but did not ultimately solve the problem. I reinstalled IE7 through my Windows XP disc and the same problem occurred.

If you look at my post above, I found another site saying that if uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 doesn't work, you might need to wipe your computer and start over... which is what I had to do. -.- At least you can back up files and such if you have to go that route. But no one wants to go through reinstalling all their software again, so I was just wondering if there was a "better" way of uninstalling and reinstalling programs?

In any case, it seems this problem occurs when one is installing or reinstalling windows.
    Jessiicar_x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
    I have also been having the same problem and nothing else has worked apart from whiping my computer. Also just for future reference do NOT click updates until you've read them! Thanks x
    Rathan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Hi Lisa,

I am Rathan, a new member for this community and heard that you get the above error message when you try logging on to the internet and its because the browser which you use has gone bad in other words its corrupted so you need to uninstall and reinstall it in order to get rid of this message.

Regards,
    Rathan;)
    shogunassassin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Go to start, run and type in %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    This will uninstall IE 7
    If this is due to a windows repair or reinstallation then IE7 has become corrupted. You are better off using this run command than add/remove programs which may not always work. Windows should revert to back to IE 6.
    mrV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 03:14 PM
    LostKanuk,
    That worked for me... Thanks!

The problem started for me, also, when I installed XP Pro over XP Home. It was driving me crazy! So, just wanted to say THANKS!
    thawker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostkanuk
    Hi Lisa,

Hope this helps

LostKanuk
    Yip that did it.. thanks, quick and easy!
    agreen2k7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I recently sorted this same problem on my computer I will post instructions on how to sort this problem in 1 min OK
    agreen2k7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Right click on the internet explorer icon and click on properties next click advanced then go down to where it says show friendly url'S and tick the box, easy as that, worked for me try it
    Hardeep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa_katherin
    hi there

please can somebody help me by guiding me on how to solve this problem i have with my internet.

well the problem is when i type in a web address in the address bar on top but every time i click on Go it comes up with : "THE REQUEST LOOKUP KEY WAS NOT FOUND IN ANY ACTIVAITON CONTEXT"

the same thing also appears when i try to open an attachment from e-mail. i need this as i can't finish a presentation.

i don't know how to fix this problem
    Hi
    The problem could be with the corrupted Internet Explorer try to uninstall and reinstall I.E

Thanks and Regards
    Hardeep Singh
    marty1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Am getting same and on broadband sumone help please
    billbev Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 12:43 AM
    I can't get an answer to this problem as it means Ican't use the met

The same thing also appears when I try to open an attachment from e-mail. I need this as I can't finish a presentation.

I don't know how to fix this problem.:( :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bush Internet tv; remote control activation [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I have a Bush internet TV, and I need to activate the remote control again (just for changing the channel), as the batteries ran out. I remember having to hold in some of the buttons for an amount of time, and I was hoping someone might know the specifics or be able to direct me to somewhere I...

Cascading lookup fields... [ 3 Answers ]

Want to use the form frmCardDetails to populate tblCards. Want to select the sport from a lookup field linked to tblSports and then the League from tblLeagues, BUT only displaying the leagues that are included in that sport. I have looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209595/en-us and...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search