Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chalmed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Why does our modular home ceiling continue to crack ?
    We had a modular put up in 2002. It is a Cape style home, with the second floor in the roof line. On the first floor, the living room goes the full depth of the house, from front to rear. The ceiling cracks, right where the modular was put together, every year. We are in Vermont, and the temperature changes are considerable from Summer to Winter. We have considered pulling the drywall to see if there are missing structural problems, but it looks like it may just be expansion and contraction, every year. Help! We are at a loss as to how to fix this. Any expert ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Eilishagrah Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Dec 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Hopefully you've already had some help with this. I've owned several modulars and the foundation underneath shifts as it settles. In my area there are businesses that will come out and use a water level to relevel your foundation under the house. If the foundation was done correctly they should be able to make the adjustments needed. Remember, that crack goes all the way through your ceiling and needs to be taken care of pronto.

Ask the dealers who sold you the modular where you can contact someone to come and level it for you. I did it ever year for about 5 years in my last one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modular Home with wall, ceiling cracks, etc. [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a modular home just over three years ago. I guess over a year now I have started getting thin cracks in the walls and ceiling and the crown moulding started separating. I also have problems with the pantry doors and storm doors not always closing properly. Just recently, there has...

Selling a modular home [ 5 Answers ]

We owe more than the home is worth and want out what is the best way to do this without just foreclosing? By owner, through a realitor? We are not sure where to start.

Insulating vaulted ceiling in a modular home [ 3 Answers ]

I have a modular home with vaulted ceilings throughout most of the house. The blown-in insulation that was put in place while building the home, settled to the outside edges of the house when it was moved 1,000 miles to my homesite. I was considering more blown-in insulation, but, when I inquired...

Modular home [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a bathroom ceiling light to work with my existing fan, the opening in the ceilling is 7.5" x 7.5" and will the existing wiring to the fan be OK to power up the light

Odor from well water in modular home [ 1 Answers ]

The home is 13 years old and has been kept immaculately clean by previous owner. After moving in 3 weeks ago I was so dismayed that the odor was so strong coming from the shower. Nothing has helped so far. I spray Febreze but that's pretty expensive. Any suggestions appreciated. Anne

View more questions Search