Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostinwa Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Mother-in-law has life insurance on sons life.
    Can my mother-in-law benefit from her sons death? He passed away last November, 2010 leaving a widow and 4 children? She had 2 policies on him. Can I fight her on this?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Why would you want to fight her over it? Or did he have two and name her as beneficiary?

Nov 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
    She has them on all her children. I would never consider putting one on my children.

Nov 11, 2011, 08:50 PM
    She has policies on all her adult children. She hasn't contributed to his burial expense nor her grandchildrens lives. I just don't understand why she can profit off my husbands death (her son) and her grandchildrens father.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
    My parents had them on each of us kids, and my husband and I had policies on each of our kids. Usually, though, once the child has grown up and is responsible, the parents may offer the policy to the child in case he want to take over the premium payments or roll it over into something else.

You do realize she's paying premiums each month or quarter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
    Most parents have policies on their children, often they are bought as investment for perhaps a child's college fund, and some even for his retirement.

But no it is perfectly normal for a parent to have a policy on their children. My mom had one on me, till she died last year, so for almost 60 years she had me insured.

You have no case against her, she paid the cost of it, and it is her money for her loss also. I am shocked that you feel she had not right to do so.

Nov 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
    What's really crazy is her oldest son shot her middle son. Its still under-investigation. She collects off his death and helps the shooter financially. Meanwhile ignoring her grandchildren. I guess I need to let it go and cut them out of our lives. My husband was 41 yrs old.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 09:24 PM
    How much did she gain from your husband's death?

Nov 11, 2011, 09:27 PM
    Over a million.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 09:30 PM
    When did she take out the policy? She's probably been paying a hefty amount on the premiums, you realize, and he normally would have outlived her.

Nov 11, 2011, 09:38 PM
    She's in her late 60's. Her oldest son shoots her middle son in an alcoholic rage. She then attempts to steal our family laptop, camera's and other gifts that she gave to us during our 15 yr marriage. Stealing from her grandchildren. Because it was a homicide, the state paid for the burial. Just bizarre!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 09:45 PM
    Did your husband have insurance on himself to benefit his family (you and the kids) when he died?

Nov 11, 2011, 09:52 PM
    No, unfortunately.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 08:02 AM
    I see no grounds to "fight her" over this policy. If you can PROVE she was instrumental in the death of the insured, yes, the policy can/will be set aside.

Other than that - I see no legal grounds.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2011, 08:15 AM
    And even then, if you proved she had a part in his death, it may just void the policy not allow others to collect.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And even then, if you proved she had a part in his death, it may just void the policy not allow others to collect.

Absolutely - premiums will be refunded, policy declared void.

I should have said that. Thanks for the catch!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to be in my sons life [ 10 Answers ]

I am new to this site my name is william I recently found out that I am a father of a three week old boy... now its not that I wasn't trying to be in his life while he was in her but I was constently in formed from HER that I was the father now. Now when he was born it was said to be her ex...

Mother in Law wants my life [ 1 Answers ]

My mother in law just arrived from Kansas City to my house in Florida. Since her arrival she has broken my marriage, I am now in divorce proceedings, she has encouraged my husband to call my job and make false allegations in attempt to get me fired. She has called the police because I refuse to...

Am I wrong for cutting my mother in law out of my life? [ 4 Answers ]

I know this veery late, but wow, I have to sympathize with you on this one. That must be so hard. I would definitely not see the monster-in-law if it were me. For her to treat you like that is unfair, rude, unreasonable, and just EVIL! And yeah, I think your little girl doesn't need to be there (or...

Too much of intereference from my mother in law in me n my husband's personal life... [ 3 Answers ]

My mother in law intereferes o lot in me and my husband's personal life... it is to extremes now... dont know what to do... please somebody help me? I need some mental support... am lost completely

Wanting to change sons last name father not on birth cert and not in sons life [ 10 Answers ]

I need help my son is almost 3 and his father will not sign the birth cert and will not pay child support and will not give up his rights I am a single mother who has kept myself off welfare because they will go after him and. I am not wanting anything from him, I am just wanting to take his last...

View more questions Search