Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaikabear Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Cannot find server, micrsoft windows not genuine
    So, a while ago I started to get pop-ups "your copy of windows may not be genuine" so I, of course, ignored it because I have no idea what that means. Now that that pop-up stopped a new problem has started. When I go on the internet, I can look at whatever, but if I want to pay a bill, or sign up for something I have to pay for then the next page says "cannot find server" "error" "DNS"? What the heck does that mean? What can I do to fix it? This laptop is rather old, but it just started with these problems. Any information would be great. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2007, 08:02 AM
    What about Not being genuine didn't you understand? Where did you get your copy of Windows? What version of Windows is it? Sounds like you have an illegal copy of Windows which is limiting what you can do. So the simple answer is get a legal copy.

Feb 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What about Not being genuine didn't you understand? Where did you get your copy of Windows? What version of Windows is it? Sounds like you have an illegal copy of Windows which is limiting what you can do. So the simple answer is get a legal copy.

What I don't understand is that all the programs came with the computer. So why wouldn't it already be legal if it came from the computer company?

Feb 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
    What brand and where did you buy it from? Also, please answer my other questions.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 8, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Connect to the Microsoft website to check that your copy is genuine.

There was a slight problem with a recent update of Windows XP relating to "Windows Genuine Advantage" which causes this error message to pop up.
    Your copy of Windows should still be safe to use because regardless of whether your copy is licensed, it will still get security updates (but nothing else).

If you start having problems with your Operating System (Windows) and you can't get a replacement copy, and you can't stomach paying for a new copy of Windows XP, you still have the option of installing Linux.

Uninstalling Windows XP is a bit complicated, but you can follow the guide on the Microsoft website. Linux is a perfectly good Operating System, and a lot of people much prefer it to Windows - and it's free!

Feb 9, 2007, 03:03 PM
    I have a dell laptop. Windows XP was already installed when I got it. It's about 8 years old. Maybe it's just time to get another computer.

Does window not being genuine cause the computer to not find the server? Or is that a totally different problem?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 9, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Hi Chaikabear, I take it that you get the "cannot find server" message when you try to connect to the internet; I think that would be a separate problem - it might be that your Internet Service Provider is having problems (check their website - they probably have a Status Page to show if they are doing maintenance) or perhaps it's a corrupted winsock (don't ask - I don't understand what a winsock is either! I just know it's a bit of code in the software that conects to the internet).

Your laptop might be getting worn out after 8 years (laptops do take a lot of knocks and bumps) but if the battery is still okay and the screen looks good, then maybe all you need is a new hard drive (expect a hard drive to last for 5-6 years without problems, but they do wear out eventually).

8 years old... I think it might me a pirate copy of Windows XP after all. Windows XP came out in 2001 (or was it 2000?) so most likely, your laptop was originally installed with Windows 98 or Windows 2000.

If you can afford it, then laptops these days are fantastic value considering all the technology inside them (but desktops are still a lot cheaper).

Feb 9, 2007, 05:05 PM
    You say it's a Dell laptop And XP was on it when you installed it. But you don't say where you got it from. Did you buy it new from Dell directly?

Have you kept up with all your updates?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

Install windows 2000 server [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I want to install windows 2000 server on a computer but on this computer was installed windows xp. I don't know to delet windows xp without format harddisk and install windows 2000 server. Plese help me

Setting up Windows Server 2003 [ 6 Answers ]

Okay I have a few questions. First is my Cable ISP gives me a Dynamic IP Address. But I would like to set up a home net work with Windows 2003 server. I would like to physically set it up this way. Modem to Router with DHCP turned off on the router, then router to server with DHCP, then...

Windows 2k server not compatile with hp2210 all I [ 1 Answers ]

After installing drivers for the hp 2210 comp does system check and says all items are a compatible except operating system, it doesn't do that with win 2k professional can't find any patches for this problem

Windows Server CHMOD Equivalent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm running a server off Win 9.x and I've set up an FTP server. The only problem is I can't write to the directories. The user is set up to be able to do anything on the server, but I get a 550 Access Denied every time I try and upload. Is there a way to change the permissions on the files...

View more questions Search