Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woccatlanta Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Why does my Central Air Unit (Goodman split unit) neither cool or heat my house?
    It worked fine all summer until last few months. When I have it to cool it blows air but not cold air. Now that I want heat it blows cool air and not hot air. It took it 30 minutes to heat my 1000SF home from 64 degrees to 65 degrees. What could be the problem?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Split unit, meaning ac unit on the outside and furnace/airhandler on inside,either in basement,in attic,or somewhere in living area like a closet,or utility room. So unless you have a heatpump your heat is being made and blown into the home by the furnace/airhandler, During the summer when you was using the ac the blower inside the furnace/airhandler blew air across the evaporater coil and blew cool air into the house. In colder weather the same blower blows across electric elements that are hot blowing warm air into your home, so either the elements are not working or the relays that are telling the elements to heat up are not working,with a couple of extra safety devices in between that are necessary to be working. The tstat is the control that sends signals to equipment as to what you want it to do and the temp.settings
    So with all this said unless you are very savie with test tools and knowhow it would be hard to tell you how to fix without being there., please tell us what you have checked out and anymore questions we might help you with, Please feel free to ask
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
    All this was said guessing you have electric furnace/airhandler,, if you have gas furnace it's a little different but the same procedure

Nov 12, 2011, 07:05 AM
    It is electric. This is what I have checked so far. I searched online and saw how to check the tstat to make sure it wasn't that. It isn't that. A friend told me that it sounded like I needed freon added so they knew someone who could add it and last weekend they came and added freon. When we turned on the heater it did blow hot air and I thought great that was it. However a week later it is not working again.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Sounds like 1st of all you have a heatpump, and if they/someone added freon and it again is not working you have a leak, so its time to call out the pro`s because this isn`t an easy do-it-yourself fix,, sorry but its not going to be a cheap fix, but has to be don`t if you want it working,, You probably have a emergancy setting on the tstat that will give you heat from the Aux,furnace only but the expense will be much higher than using the heatpump

Nov 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
    Thanks for your help. When you say it is not a cheap fix... can you give me a guesstimate?
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
    Hard to do guesstiments vary state from state, city to city, Cost of materials and labor are not the same
    You might call several different local companies and tell them what your probablem is and they might give you guesstiment over the phone

,, Good Luck,, let us know how it comes out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My heating unit blows cool air when I turn it on heat and will not heat the house [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I noticed a few days a go, the house was still cold even after the thermostat was turned up to about 75 degrees. Neither does the unit automatically turn off. We live in Texas so at any given day the temp may be 80 degrees today and 30 degrees the next day. As a matter of fact,...

Have a goodman furnace/air conditioner split unit model 436-30 [ 1 Answers ]

The other day it started smelling hot inside the air handler cabinet. Upon examination I found what appeared to be one of the black power wires lying on cabinet floor with insulation melting and fan motor had stopped. I called a tech who plugged wire back in to terminal on top of one of the...

Repair or replace split unit central heat/air system [ 1 Answers ]

I'm the original owner of a 2800-sq. ft. house built in 2003, located in Southwest Georgia. (Load calculations for the home equate to 52K BTU) During construction, I purchased a Rheem 14-Seer, 5-ton, R22 system (electric outdoor heat pump & indoor air handler). Unfortunately the installer has...

Central heating unit blowing out cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Trane central heating unit blowing out cool air. What could the problem be and what should I check?

Goodman 3ton split unit Heat will not come on [ 10 Answers ]

After turning up heat, blower will not come on, or the heat. What do I look for or trouble shoot?. thanks

View more questions Search