Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scortcho Posts: 78, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2011, 02:51 AM
    Night photography with an analog slr
    I'm back with my trusty Olympus om-1. Tonight the moon is very bright! I wanted to take some pictures of things in the moonlight with no flash. I took a few test shots by setting up my camera on my tripod and using a remote trigger to hold the shutter open. Do you have any suggestions as to how long to keep the shutter open and how I can best succeed in moonlight photography? Much appreciated.
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Nov 11, 2011, 04:49 AM
    Best advice is trial and error... If you have a dSLR you can get a good idea what you would need for film... Or a point and shoot with manual controls...

Really depends what you are shooting...

Straight at the moon? Use the "Sunny 16" rule... f/16 1/160 shutter speed at 100 ISO...

200 ISO is a single f/stop brighter than 100, and 400 is 2 stops more than 100...

A picture of the moon at night is about the same settings as a landscape shot at high noon...

I hope this helps, and good luck. :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 11, 2011, 01:59 PM
    What film are you going to use? What type of pictures are you looking to produce? Some cables have a manual stop built in. If yours don't then your going to have to do that part yourself.

If you do want to shoot the moon try bracketing at F/8 250. Your pictures will come out near perfect.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jan 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Shooting by moonlight is subjective do you want the photos to appear as if they are normally lt or do you want to capture the feel of night time. Shooting moon lit objects is tricky because the contrast over a scene photographs higher than the same scene during the day because of the fact the moon is a point light source and you have no fill from the sky as in daytime. Reciprocity effect failure or the fact that in long exposures film becomes less sensitive effects the exposure and contrast in night photography. With black and white film you can under expose and develop normally to cut the apparent contrast, but cate must be taken or you will cut too much contrast.
    Lots of Trial and error but worth itIf using color print film Fuji 800 ASA was very forgiving and was a go to in the old film photography days

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Artistic photography with an analog SLR [ 2 Answers ]

I hope I'm not the only person out there that still uses film. There's something about it that digital will never replace. Anyway, my dad once told me he and his friend took a picture in which they set the camera on a tripod when it was dark out, held the shutter open, and shined flashlights on...

Night time sports photography [ 6 Answers ]

I have a D50 and take a lot of Football & Baseball pictures. This year I will be under the lights. I currently use a 70-300 VR lens with a 600 flash. I still can't get decent shots. What settings do you suggest? I am allowed on the sidelines.

Canon SLR [ 4 Answers ]

Hello there, I am using Canon Powershot A630 for last 1 year with satisfactory performance.Now I would like to buy one normal SLR model.May I know which is the suitable model for me.Is it compulsory to buy extra lenses with all SLR cameras?Is there any models which can be used without any...

Photography night classes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find nightclasses in the northwest london area. Preferebly on a Thursday night

Best Digital SLR for Nature & Wildlife Photography? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Ok, maybe not the very best, but I am trying very hard to decide between the Nikon D80 and the Canon 400D (XTi). I've ready many reviews, some lean towards Nikon, others towards Canon. Is one of these better (better image quality, colors, etc) for nature and wildlife photography? I would...

View more questions Search