Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anar22 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 02:11 AM
    interpolation
    how I can do interpolation in simple way ?
    for example if I have many values of x and y

x1= 0.2 y1=0.6
    x2= 0.3 y2=0.8
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Nov 11, 2011, 08:15 AM
    There are many ways, with varying degrees of accuracy and smoothness, depending upon the function being interpolated.

The most common way (and one of the simplest) is piecewise-linear interpolation. That means that you connect adjacent points with a straight line. The resulting curve is continuous, but it's first derivative is not (the slope changes instantaneously at each known point).

Polynomial interpolation uses higher-order functions, so that the points are connected with smooth curves. If an (n-1)th-order polynomial is used, a function can be found which passes through all the points and has continuous derivatives. However, such functions can sometimes deviate wildly in between known points. It can also be difficult or memory-intensive to calculate the polynomial coefficients if the number of known points is large.

Another really common technique is called spline interpolation. This is sort of a hybrid of the first two. A low-order (usually cubic) polynomial is used to describe the function between two points. The polynomial coefficients are chosen such that not only does the resulting function pass through the two points on either side, it also has the same slope (first derivative) at the endpoints as the polynomials describing the intervals on either side.

This wikipedia article actually does a very good job of showing the different types.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interpolation formula bonds [ 1 Answers ]

When the interest rates in bonds is in question what would interpolation could recommend as a relevant solution?

What is logrithmic method of interpolation? [ 3 Answers ]

DEAR ALL, I am a student and I want to know about logrithmic method of interpolation from begninning with and example. I would be very grateful to anyone who can guide me.thanks

Cubic Spline Interpolation Guessing the Control Points [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Given a set of 2D points (located on a 2D graph) I want to guess the spline cubic control points in order to draw a smoother 2D graph. I will use a set of images in order to show you what I want to do: Starting from 5 control points ( , , , , ) I was able to guess the intermediate...

View more questions Search