Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxyroxy3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Changing a Child's surname
    I am a single mother and have been since my son was 6 weeks old. I was unmarried to his father and things went from good to bad over night. To make a long story short, his father has supervised visitation due to some abuse that had happened. Thank god I was smart and got the baby medical attention and now have my child away from this horrible being. Anyway I have full physical custody and we have joint-custody and he has not excerised any of his rights nor has he tried to make any contact with my son in the last 3.5 years. No birthdays, holidays, child support or visitation has been received. Now that my son is in preschool he has his fathers surname but tells everyone he has mine, which is not listed legally on his birth certificate. I have no current location on his father or the family members nor has any of his family members made any attempts to visit the baby. He will 4years old and I can count on one had how many times he has seen by this family. Also his father was ordered by the court to complete anger management and counseling and he did not complete either of them. My question is can I change his surname to mine? I want to do it before he is in elementary school to avoid any embarrassment and confusion. He has no clue who or what his father is. His dad has chosen to be a dead-beat and I think it is in the best interest of my son to take my name for I am the one that has and always will be there for him. Also does anyone know if he would have to be served papers if I wanted to change his name, I have no current information on him? I just keep thinking well if he did show up on a court date, he would have no ground to stand on or anything to fight the battle. He's a dead beat who wouldn't even recognize his own son on the streets.:confused:
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Here in canada, you would go to the government website. They have forms you could fill out online or print up. Or you could pick them up at the local offices to fill out. There are special forms to fill out to have a name change to the birth certificate and there would probably be a fee for the name change.

I would think it would be similar else where.

Joe
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Check with the agency that manages birth certificates for your county or municipality. But I would suspect this would require a court order. However, there is no law that says he cannot go by your surname in school or anywhere else as long as there is no intent to defraud. When you register him for school use your surname. If anyone questions it explain it the same way you have here.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Hello foxy:

It certainly may take a court order. But, just because you don't know where the dead beat is, doesn't mean you can't get a court order - not at all.

Or, as Scott suggests, unofficially change his name, and when he's 18, he can do it himself WITHOUT permission from anybody.

excon
    foxyroxy3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Thanks to all of you for your reply! I think I'm going to call the local court and consult an attorney about this matter... worse case is he will show up in court, and disagree about my reasonings but what can he say? He has done nothing positive in his son's life so really has no legit reason to argue.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Umm, doesn't work that way. Whether he has a moral or ethical right to contest the name change, doesn't bear on his legal right. And that's all a judge can look at. But please do consult an attorney. That way you get the best advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother hyphenationg child's last name with stepfather's name [ 8 Answers ]

I recently found out that the mother of my daughter (we were never married) has been hyphenating my daughter's last name to include her new husband's. Even though we were never married, my daughter was giving my last name. I see her several times a week, talk to her several times a week, I have...

Changing my child's name [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how I can go about changing my son's name. He's 4 months old. And I made the HUGE mistake of naming him after his "father". His "father" isn't around and never comes to see him. I don't want my son to be named after such a irresponsible loser. What are the steps I need to make?

Changing my son's surname [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the UK. Ten years ago I met and had a relationship with someone by whom I became pregnant. I had a son. The father couldn't be bothered to even turn up for the birth and wanted me to go partying with him the next day as I lay recovering from a Caesarian. I should have realised...

Can my boyfriend be my child's father [ 1 Answers ]

I receive temporary assistance and food stamps from the state. When I went to visit my social worker she made me fill out a paper issuing for the collection of child support for the alleged father of my child. I filled it out to the best of my ability. Honestly, I may know exactly who my child's...

Child's speech pattern [ 1 Answers ]

Should we be worried that my 2 year old grandson talks about himself in the third person. He doesn't say I anything. He calls himself by name. When you ask him a question (sometimes) if it is not phrased correctly he will not respond. If you ask did he do something it is usually no. If you ask...

View more questions Search