Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wildturkey22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Can I ground my generator to a copper rod driven into the ground with coax cable?
    I am going to test my 6000 watt generator. It is recommended that I ground it to a copper rod driven into the ground. I alread have a copper rod that is used to ground my telephone and cable lines. Can I use a length of coax cable to run from my generator ground to the copper rod?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Nov 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
    I'm all for reusing existing materials when you can, but I'd strongly recommend against this particular idea. Coax is not designed to handle the amount of current necessary to safely keep the generator grounded in case of a malfunction. It also may not be copper, in which case it could corrode where it connects to the generator or ground rod.

Bare copper ground wire (usually #6 or #8 for that size generator I think) is relatively cheap (probably something like 60-80 cents per foot). If it was me, that's what I'd use. And if the generator had to be more than about 20 feet from the existing ground rod, I'd just pay the $15 or so it would cost to buy a new copper-clad ground rod, a clamp, and a few feet of #6 wire; and I'd pound the rod into the ground right next to where the generator's going to be.

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2011, 03:49 AM
    I am sure the instruction manual for the generator will require at least a min of #8 copper wire for the ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nec-covering of ground wire from the ground rod to the water pipecables [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new service meter panel and ground rod. The ground rod is connected to the meter panel via a #4 copper wire to a water pipe located 10 feet away. Is is allowable to bury the #4 wire between the ground rod and water pipe to keep it from being a trip hazard and protect the wire? ...

Ground rod wire is not connected to the ground rod [ 1 Answers ]

My inspection report for a property that I'm looking to purchase said that my " ground rod wire is not connected to the ground rod". I have no idea what something this would cost to fix. He also said that the ground rod clamp was rotten. Am I looking at thousands in repairs?

Copper Ground Rod near Holly Bushes [ 3 Answers ]

How far away should a 4 foot 3/8 inch diameter copper ground rod be placed in ground so as not to possibly poison a nearby Holly Shrub? Thanks in advance for advice

View more questions Search