Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xbigjohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
    Replacing 4 wire White Rogers Thermostat with 5 Wire Thermostat
    I have an old White-Rogers thermostat with only 4 wires coming out of the wall and need to replace it but the only new ones I find (at Home Depot) have 5 wires. How do I hook up a 5 wire thermostat to 4 wires and still have it work properly?

Big John
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2011, 06:07 AM
    It would help to tell us the colors and what they are hooked to on the old tstat
    What are the posts labeled on the new tstat also
    Sometimes there's a need to tag the wires befire removing from tstat
    xbigjohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
    OK, sorry I didn't provide all that with the original question. There is a Red, Green, White and Yellow wire, all attached to appropriately labeled posts. This all suddenly became academic a few minutes ago when my wife came in with a "new" thermostat that she liked and it has four wires -- same colors and it has been installed, works fine and best of all, she's happy with it!

Thanks so much or your response and effort. I promise to do better next time!

Thanks again

Big John
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
    Good deal, glad you got it going,glad you made the little woman happy. That's number 1 priority

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help Replacing White-Rogers thermostat with Aprilaire [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a White-Rogers 1F58-72 with an Aprilaire 8465. I have a 2 stage heat system with heat pump and electric elements and AC. The original wiring was as follows: Green G Red R Blue X1 Brown E White W2 Yellow Y Orange O The Aprilaire thermostat has the following terminals:

I'm replacing an old 2 wire thermostat with a Hunter (#44155C). Wire placement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not sure of the wire placement. I have a black and white wire attached to my old thermostat. The new thermostat has attachments labeled G, RC, Rh, Y/O, W/B, Y1. There is a jumper connecting RC and RH. Do I connect the black wire to RH and the white wire to W/B? Any help would be greatly...

How do I wire my new honeywell thermostat replacing the old tempstar thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my old thermostat. The old is a TEMPSTAR, the new is a Honeywell model # RTH7500. When I use the directions I end up with one left over wire. We called the Honeywell hotline, the rep. said to wire it like this: red to R, white to O, Yellow to Y, Blue to C, Green to G, Orange...

Hooking up a new thermostat but old thermostat has a white and a black wire? [ 2 Answers ]

Everything I look at indicates a white and red wire for the connecting wires. Our thermostat is probably original to our home (1943). It has two wires. It is difficult to tell but it looks like one is a white wire and the other is black. I've tried looking on the internet for some info however...

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

View more questions Search