Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwalker1002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 07:27 PM
    How to settle wage garnishment in Fulton county GA
    Hello - there is a wage garnishment currently in place against me through Fulton county magistrate court in GA. Can I pay the balance through the court to stop the garnishments? Thanks in advance for all help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2011, 08:31 PM
    Who is the plaintiff? If you can pay the balance the court should release the garnishment.
    dwalker1002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Thank you!

The plaintiff is a collection agency who bought the judgement. I had hired an attorney to help me settle with them before the garnishment went into effect but they refused.

I didn't know if paying the court would allow me to have a receipt, present it to my employer, and stop the garnishment immediately or if there was something else I also needed to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2011, 04:06 AM
    The stop of the garnishment HAS to be issued by the court. Whether the court will require a release from plaintiff before issuing a stop (probably) or will just accept proof of payment is up to the local court.

Approach the court clerk and ask what the process is.

Another possibility would be to check with your employer and see if they know how many paychecks the garnishment is for. For example, if they know they have to take out x amount for x paychecks and then they can stop, you might be able to give them the remaining amount to forward to the plaintiff, this way they have proof the balance has been paid and can cease the garnishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax sale auction and how can I use the property? Fulton County, GA [ 7 Answers ]

There is a small piece of abandoned land that I am interested in acquiring. A notice was just posted stating that the back taxes have been bought by xxxx and the sheriff will auction the property. I am looking at this property as an expansion to my current commercial lot and not for resale...

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Wrongful garnishment in fulton county ga [ 6 Answers ]

I found out today that I have a regular garnishment from the State court of fulton county. This garnishment is based on a FIFA that was filed in 2005. The FIFA was given because the court gave a default judgment against me. They gave a default judgment against me because the court says it never...

Fulton County-Garnishment [ 6 Answers ]

I have paid 10K in 10months for a garnishment, I only owe $1400. I want to pay it out but Fulton county has been holding $6K in an escrow account since Feb only forwarding $3600 to the creditor. If I pay it owe they will continue to garnish my check, how do I stop the garnishment because even...

Do I need a license to become a Talent Agent in Fulton County Georgia (Atlanta)? [ 2 Answers ]

If so, where do I go to get it, what are the requirements, and how much does it cost? What are the specific functions of a Talent Agent? I know what they do, but I have not a clue of how.

View more questions Search