Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MamaTink76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 12:58 PM
    Absent Father
    My 10 year old son hasn't seen or heard from his father in 11 months. He is still paying child support through a wage assignment. Can I take him to court to get his rights relinquiesh and have my husband adopt him?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2011, 01:20 PM
    No, why do you think you could?

All law depends on your local area, but paying support in most places is considered "contact"

Next you can not "take his rights away normally just for no visits. IN fact as in Georgia, you can't take rights away if they don't pay, and if they don't visit.

You can contact him and ask him if he will agree to sign over his rights, since he support check would stop, and he is not visiting anyway, there should be no reason he would not.
    lenadelcampo Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2011, 09:07 AM
    I just took my sons father to court for that sameting but my son is 15 and his father has not been there for the whole 15 years. The judge told me I have to contact dyfs and have my husband file a petition for adoption. I don't know what State yyou are in but I am in NJ if that helps any.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
    Contact Dyfs about what ? And you want chlidrens services looking into how you are raising your child, a dangerous can of worms.

But yes if you want an adoption, you have to start an adoption process with an attorney and notify the father to give him a chance to sign.

But normally just not being there, esp if they are paying support will not get his rights taken away.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2011, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lenadelcampo View Post
    I just took my sons father to court for that sameting but my son is 15 and his father has not been there for the whole 15 years. The judge told me I have to contact dyfs and have my husband file a petition for adoption. I don't know what State yyou are in but I am in NJ if that helps any.
    The only reason to get dyfs involved is if they have to do an evaluation of fitness for the adoption. Did you have an attorney prepare the adoption petition?

To mamatink, as Chuck noted, if you approach the father and explain that agreeing to the adoption will end his support obligation he may agree. At any rate, you should be asking for the TPR as PART of the adoption, not separately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absent father [ 7 Answers ]

My sons father hasn't seen my our son in 3 years. He hasn't tried to contact him in those 3 years either. His father is in to bad things and is in hiding I know what city he lives in just don't know where he lives. I haven't gotten child support from him in those 3 years either. He never holds a...

What to do about my daughter's absent father? [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 yr old daughter and I haven't had any contact with her father in over 6 years. I recently was summoned by the state to appear at a child support hearing to discuss his child support. He only pays a few months a year, when he does gets a job and they take it out of his paycheck. He catches up...

Absent father [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter father has not seen her for seven year but ORS is taking money from him for child support. Does he still have right to her?

Absent father [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is 10 yrs old and she never lived with her father he has never been in her life... I don't know where he is located and I want to know how can I have sole custody I have to renew her passport and can't do it with out his consent... any suggestions?

Absent Father [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old son whose father has been absent his entire life. Meaning no child support. He does call occasionally but he doesn't give me one dime for my son. He says he loves my son and what not. Is there a way I could terminate his parental rights?

View more questions Search