Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimdurbin5 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Sewer gas is in house
    I have a sewer gas issue that will not go away. It is particualrly strong on one side of my house... the side of my septic tank. The tank is not full or at least is not acting full... Temp outside has been in the neagtives. Smell is strong when toilets are flushed... seems to go to basement and then into heat vents and spreads throughout the house
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 01:29 AM
    Your vent line which gasses escapes must have been punctured, loose or wrongly tapped. Your vent line should extend outside your house ussually at roof. Gas should pass through the vent when you flush, not back out. Check your vent through roof, there could be closed, that's why gasses are escaping inside back. Be careful though. Have a nice day.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 05:16 AM
    One of the likely places for a leak is the wax ring of the toilet, more so if they are loose on the flange. It is a pain pulling the toilet and replacing the ring, so I would carefully check everything else. Make sure you occasionally run water down all the drains. The water in unused traps can evaporate defeating the purpose of the trap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The...

Sewer Gas Smell [ 2 Answers ]

I Built My House And Had My Bathrooms Ready For The Tubs To Be Installed After Hooking Up The Tub's And Sink's I Have A Strong Sewer Gas Odor Can Anyone Tell Me What To Do To Fix This.. thanks

Worried about sewer gas [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of renovating our upstairs bathroom and have had to remove the toilet in order to rip out the dry-wall and subfloor. I have plugged the toilet hole with a rag and covered that with duct-tape but am still concerned that the gas can still come through. Just wondering if my...

Sewer Gas Smell [ 3 Answers ]

3 months ago, we tiled 1 of 2 of our bathrooms, which included removing the toilet and replacing it after the tile was laid. Before we removed the toilet to do the tile, each time we flushed the toilet, it would produce a gurgle sound and sometimes the sound would come out through the sink! This...

Sewer Gas Odors [ 1 Answers ]

We had our drain field replaced last year and have noticed sewer gas smells when we walk around the outside of the house. I think the smells are coming from the roof vents. We never had the problem before, The drainfield was replaced because of saturation and did backup once into the basement. Any...

View more questions Search