Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Need Free Commercial Firewall Software
    Like in my other post, I need free commercial firewall software. I need the firewall because the Windows Firewall isn't as good as I would like it, and I really need that firewall asap.
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Please specify what is meant by commercial because the obvious choice for most users would be Zone Alarm or Comodo. But if it is for business, then I'm afraid that I have yet to come across a firewall that they are willing to give free to a business as most have a subscription to a public line, where users buy bandwidth and the connection in a whole is channelled through a huge firewall. If it is a small business you may get away with installing Zone Alarm on all your computers individually or on your network server. I can give a more accurate suggestion if I knew more about the number of computers and the size of businessyou are controlling.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
    This may not be of any help but I wouldn't trust anything that was free.
    But I could be wrong, I just have to wonder how do the developers get paid.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 27, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Matt.I like your caution.But I'm using PC Tools Firewall Pro,in Vista at the moment,as their "own" Firewall isn't good with it's default settings,and to get into the nitty-gritty,you need a lot of patience,or a degree in setting firewalls correctly (thank you Redmond).
    In answer to your question,I guess a lot of third-party stuff is done by "free-lancers",who must work on other things,whilst "tweaking" a particular product.
    Advertising,is probably the main answer.PC Tools,also "sell" Spyware Doctor.So I guess offering a good free firewall is not that much hastle for that company,but I take your point about developers being paid.
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 04:16 PM
    I should'ove mentioned this sooner, but I work for a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION that has no money for technology expenses, but next year we might have some extra cash for some "commercial grade" software.
    Gantry Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Check if your router has a built-in firewall. Also, there indeed are a number of "free" enterprise-class firewalls out there, one of which I recommend is Smoothwall. Just set it up on an old PC and it'll take care of your entire network. It's pretty easy to set up and maintain even for Windows users, and has some good features for security-minded types too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best site of free software download [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pals can u tell me the best site which offers free download of sotfwares

Need Free Commercial Antivirus Software [ 5 Answers ]

I am part of a company, Valdez Youth Awareness Coalition (YAC) and was wondering whether there was any free commercial antivirus software that I could download. I need it soon because I am connected with an unprotected computer.

Free software to fetch/tell ISP account balance [ 4 Answers ]

My ISP offers different log on rates during various day hours. Is there any free software that could fetch/tell my account balance when I am online. So that I do not have to browse the ISP’s website. From where to download that software free.

Mp3 free software [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any free softwares like audiogalaxy for downloading free mp3s

View more questions Search