Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anar22 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Fluid Mechanics(Mass Balances)2
    The tank has a volume V=1 m^3 and contains air that is maintained at a constant temperature by being in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings.
    If the initial absolute pressure is po=1 bar, how long will it take for the pressure to fall to a final pressure of 0.0001 bar if the air is evacuated at a constant rate of Q= 0.001 m^3/s, at the pressure prevailing in the tank at any time?(independent of pressure)
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Nov 8, 2011, 09:19 AM
    Let's say the pressure in the tank is P(t).

We can find the pressure at some infinitesimal later point in time as:

Rearranging this we get

Now taking the limit as the time interval goes to zero, we get

This differential equation has a very simple solution:

We know that is 1 bar, so we simply plug in that value, along with 0.0001 bar for P(t), and solve for t.

So it will take a little over 2.5 hours for the pressure to reach 0.1 mbar.
    Anar22 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 09:47 AM
    thanks ^_^

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fluid Mechanics(Mass Balances) [ 11 Answers ]

A small still is separating propane and butane at 135 C, and initially contains 10 kg moles of a mixture whose composition is x=0.30 (x=mole fraction butane)additional mixture(xf=0.30) is fed at the rate of 5 kg mol/hr. if the total volume of the liquid in the still is constant, and the...

Brake Fluid Has Been Getting Lower in the Fluid Cylinder. Is Failure Imminent? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! I was told by someone, who is not a mechanic by trade, that my brake fluid was getting lower in the fluid cylinder and that I needed a brake job. There don't appear to be any leaks, my brakes seem to work fine and there are no noises. He made it seem like brake failure was...

Do I need to remove some of my AT fluid before adding transmission fluid conditioner? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 20 oz. bottle of "lucas oil automatic transmission fluid conditioner" for my 93 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. It has 145,000 miles on it. I want to add a 20 oz. bottle of this lucas oil transmission fluid conditioner but don't know if I should remove some of my AT fluid before I...

Fluid mechanics [ 0 Answers ]

Can someone help me solve this problem please Download the problem from this link http://rapidshare.com/files/443475736/BME_419_Design_1-2.doc

Fluid mechanics [ 1 Answers ]

Sir If I send you some short question in fluid mechanics could you respond to me .

View more questions Search