Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vijis1976 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 09:54 PM
    10000$ withdrawn for buying house in INDIA
    Hi,

I did withdraw 13202$ from my Traditional IRA. Can I use this amout for buying a house in India. In 5329 can I show 10000 exemption towards buying the house which will avoid 10% penalty on early withdrawal.

Thanks
    Viji.S
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 8, 2011, 06:55 AM
    If the money is used for acquisition costs associated with a first purchase of a main home for yourself, child, parent, or grandparent, then yes - you can avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty on up to $10K of the withdrawal amount. You must use the money for this purpose within 120 days of the withdrawal.
    vijis1976 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 01:00 AM
    Thanks for your valuable answer

If the money is used for buying house in my husband's name. Still it can be correct right? We bought a land and yet to construct a house.

Also I heard that Primary home definition is not the only home or first home but there should not be any ?home purchased before 2 years of purchasing this house. Is my understanding correct?

What kind of proof I need to send to IRS along with 5329 form and 1040 NR tax filing. Kindly give your advice.

Thanks
    Viji.S

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A house was purchased by my mother in 1964 as family house in India. [ 2 Answers ]

A house was purchased by my mother in 1964 as family house in India. Later in 1990, an oral family partition was effected in the family and ½ of the house came into my possession. In 1995, a decree was passed by the court vide which I was declared owner in possession of ½ of the said house. In...

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

Home loan tax benefits in US when buying property in India [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in US for last few months. I want to buy an apartment in my home country India. Can someone please share knowledge on how much tax benefits can I avail in US if I take home loan from an Indian bank for an apartment in India ? Thanks.

Buying a house [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Im in the process of trying to buy my first home. Im just wondering if this is the right time or do you guys think the prices will continue to fall in the coming months? This is for a house in the San Francisco Bay Area..

View more questions Search