Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gothica12 Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2011, 12:15 PM
    Catholics and other Christians: what's your opinion on the following?
    Why do some of them/ some of you feel that using contraception is a sin. I'm a Catholic myself, (though I consider myself more Protestant Christian, like United), and many Christians and other Catholics believe that sex is a gift created from God and designed for these purposes: a way of providing love, pleasure and receiving love and pleasure as well as connecting on an emotional, physical/ sexual / romantic level, while being the method of creating new life. (Which can be part of showing love for that person by starting a family)

Then, when you are in love with someone, you're attracted to them in all ways. But, I was wondering why Catholics and other Christians consider using things like birth control is a sin.

There is nothing in the Bible that says so, and some people may be good couples and ready to be married and have sex, but the situation is not best for children. (e.g. financial situation, they may be ready for marriage and sex, but not for children, etc).

Are people who aren't ready for children supposed to withhold contraception and not have sex or even act out or do certain things, as it may supposedly lead to sex and conceiving if they're not ready for a child?

And it says in the Bible that we're supposed to please our spouses (and satisfy them sexually) but obviously don't force sex on them. Just wondering.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Nov 7, 2011, 12:26 PM
    A very valid point too. I do not believe God gave humanity sex simply for procreation. If one were to argue that every sperm is precious and a possible life from God... is not every teenage male doomed to beg forgiveness every time he has a wet dream? I am not Catholic, but I am a Christian and I do not see any sin in using contraceptives or going through the medical procedures to ensure there is no pregnancy. What the bible does say about sex is that it needs to be in the confines of marriage and with the opposite sex.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Nov 7, 2011, 02:26 PM
    A lot of Catholics believe it's a sin to withhold the child being born. It's a waste of a seed.

I'm Catholic, but not as strict as a lot. My partner and I use contraception, and our sex life is bringing us together, opens ways for us to show our love, and makes us closer and stronger for when we DO want children.

X Dani
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 02:35 PM
    And people past childbearing age can't have sex because they can't have children? I hope not!

Or what about infertile couples? They can't have sex?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
    I think you will find the reasons against birth control methods is that most contraceptives actually allow for the fertilization of an egg by the sperm, It only prevents that fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus walls thereby not allowing a pregnancy.
    What I am trying to say is, that it is a chemical form of abortion that happens every month.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 08:09 PM
    I think this helps explain it. Contraception is not part of the natural cycle. And that is why it is forbidden in many christian churches.

What Does the Bible Say About Spilling Your Seed?

Genesis 38:9-10 ESV / 56 helpful votes

But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother's wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother. And what he did was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death also.

Genesis 38:9 ESV / 23 helpful votes

But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother's wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 1:26-27 ESV / 3 helpful votes

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Nov 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Good points, but in context it was not the "pulling out" that angered God in those scriptures.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 8, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Good points, but in context it was not the "pulling out" that angered God in those scriptures.
    It is also important to understand WHY it angered God.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One ? For Catholics [ 52 Answers ]

When I started my truck for work the other morning one of the stations that my sat radio goes over is Catholic radio. Anyhow while I was waiting for my sat radio to power up I was listening to one of the more famous Catholic prayers. Hail Mary full of grace etc. It got me to thinking, is this...

True Christians & False Christians [ 35 Answers ]

Hi evereyone, When searching for true Christian followers of Jesus, how can we tell them apart from those who claim to follow Christ? Thank you, Hope12

Christians and catholics [ 27 Answers ]

Some people say that christians and catholics are very similar, but they do divide because of some major doctrinal issues. Such as mass or eucharist. Catholics believe that when we take communion that the wafer actually becomes the body of jesus and the wine or juice or whatever is used becomes...

Catholics [ 4 Answers ]

Do catholic beliefs differ from one another ?

View more questions Search