Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MEMADERA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 06:30 AM
    Can I get mt deposit back beforesigning lease in 7 days deposit hold?
    I'm in the state of Georgia I have given 625.00 security deposit for a small house in the stated of Florida but because of my job something happen and I couldn't move just yet I gave the deposit 7 days before signing lease to put it on hold now she don't want to give it back or at lease have of it .can I get my deposit back before signing lease in 7 days
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2011, 06:34 AM
    What's the Lease Contract say? Usually you can't... Thats why you have to give a deposit... The landlord had to take the property off the market under the promise you would be renting it... and that obligation goes both ways... he can't toss you out because he found someone that is willing to pay more.

Its not his fault you can't or won't take it. Odds are you aren't entitled to a dime back.

Sorry for your situation, but that's how the system works. Technically he could even hold you liable for the rent until he can find another tenant. So it really could be worse than just losing the deposit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 06:38 AM
    When you give a deposit to someone to "hold" it, so they don't give it to someone else, what are you doing is saying,

Here is the money, if I don't take it, it is your money to pay you for the loss of renting to someone else while you hold it for me.

What do you think it was for ? If you had given them the money but they had rented it to someone else, that would not have been right ?

Often a deposit to hold an apartment is far less than that, I normally ask for 100 or 200 dollars if I am only holding it a week.

Assuming you did not sign the lease, you will not be liable for the rent, Florida is a very pro landlord state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I surpose to give half of my deposit back if he break the lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate ,we both sign the lease ,now he wants to move out ,he want me to pay him half the deposit back! He is breaking the lease but he want me to pay he half the deposit so he can move across the street from me .he is still living here do he owe me rent for the month of April and do I...

How many days notice do you have to give in order to get your deposit back [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I rented a 3 bedroom house in ellsworth Kansas and I was not on the lease we got into a fight and broke up and the landlord didn't like me so since I was not on the lease she gave me 2 days to get all of my stuff and move out. I also have two small children ages 1 and 2 so I had...

Paying Deposit to hold apt without signing a lease. [ 6 Answers ]

My sister gave a landlord a deposit on an apartment to hold it for her. She has not signed a lease. She found a better deal elsewhere and asked for her deposit back. The deposit was given 2 weeks ago. When she asked for her deposit back they refused saying they haven't been able to show the...

Getting back apartment reservation deposit before signing lease [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the state of Connecticut. I have given $500 security deposit check to reserve an apartment unit but haven't yet moved in nor have I signed the lease yet. Recently I found out adverse online reviews about that apartment complex having been infested with bed bugs and management not being...

Tenate broke lease does she get deposit back [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a girl that signed her lease and gave us security deposit back and 1st months rent. Now within 24 hrs if signing the lease she called and said she is going to rent of her brothers place instead. She wants all of her money back. Do I need to give her the security deposit back...

View more questions Search