Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tara Bernard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Bathroom wall wet dirt smell
    We have a 4 1/2 year old house with a problem that no one has been able to figure out.
    It started about 3 years ago when we began to notice a wet dirt smell in the wall behind
    The shower of our bathroom. [There is a small room behind the bathroom so this wall that smells is not an exterior wall. There is a second wall also in the shower that is an exterior wall.] It does not smell all the time, frequently when you use the shower or if it is a windy day or sometimes for no reason. We stopped using the shower for a couple of weeks and the smell was still present, though not as strong. We have had two plumbing contractors come out and do the smoke test of the plumbing system and no leaks. All the plumbing vents were checked and all were in working order. We had a mold inspector out and no evidence of mold. We tore a huge hole in this wall to see if there was anything in it to cause the smell, nothing. We have tried pouring Clorox down the drains, as recommended by our water utility company. We have looked in the attic to see if there is any evidence of a roof leak, and it is bone dry. We are wondering if it might have anything to do with the drainage in the yard next to this bathroom, it is often wet for some reason, either a leak in the sprinklers or poor drainage. Or could it be due to a crack in the foundation? We do not know where to turn to next. Please Help!
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
    You mean the pipe chase, behind your bathroom? It could be caused by dampness due to temparature changes in between rooms. You could be using hot water a lot of times, when the weather is cool, (observe) every time this happens. Try to use charcoal, it could be cheap in your area, try to buy a couple of it. Charcoal absorbs smells and sometimes moistures. Maybe it could help, only you could know. Have a nice day
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Feb 14, 2007, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara Bernard
    We have a 4 1/2 year old house with a problem that no one has been able to figure out.
    It started about 3 years ago when we began to notice a wet dirt smell in the wall behind
    the shower of our bathroom. [There is a small room behind the bathroom so this wall that smells is not an exterior wall. There is a second wall also in the shower that is an exterior wall.] It does not smell all the time, frequently when you use the shower or if it is a windy day or sometimes for no reason. We stopped using the shower for a couple of weeks and the smell was still present, though not as strong. We have had two plumbing contractors come out and do the smoke test of the plumbing system and no leaks. All the plumbing vents were checked and all were in working order. We had a mold inspector out and no evidence of mold. We tore a huge hole in this wall to see if there was anything in it to cause the smell, nothing. We have tried pouring Clorox down the drains, as recommended by our water utility company. We have looked in the attic to see if there is any evidence of a roof leak, and it is bone dry. We are wondering if it might have anything to do with the drainage in the yard next to this bathroom, it is often wet for some reason, either a leak in the sprinklers or poor drainage. Or possibly could it be due to a crack in the foundation? We do not know where to turn to next. Please Help!
    Is this shower on a concrete slab ? Or is it built on a wood framed floor with a basement or crawlspace below it.
    Tara Bernard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwptsailor
    Is this shower on a concrete slab ? Or is it built on a wood framed floor with a basement or crawlspace below it.
    The shower is on a concrete slab.
    kump2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
    You have water sepage through your tile and there is probably no vapor barrier behind there. If you have acces to the backside, punch an small hole to see if the floor is wet
    julesba1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2018, 04:10 PM
    How do you solve the problem of water sepage? I have this problem too. Please help. It smell like wet cement every time we turn on the water. I have cleaned out the drain, I have used 511 sealant on the tile and grout... nothing works .

How do you solve the problem of water sepage? I have this problem too. Please help. It smell like wet cement every time we turn on the water. I have cleaned out the drain, I have used 511 sealant on the tile and grout... nothing works

How do you solve the problem of water sepage? I have this problem too. Please help. It smell like wet cement every time we turn on the water. I have cleaned out the drain, I have used 511 sealant on the tile and grout... nothing works

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Wall Tile - HELP! [ 6 Answers ]

Uh oh! My first attempt at putting tile on a bathroom wall and I may have a problem. Here is the story. I installed Hardibacker board around the tub and green board in the rest of the bath. I taped the seams and used joint compound, then sanded (several times). It looked so good that I taped...

Bathroom smell [ 1 Answers ]

When I use the washing machine or the shower a horrible sewage smell appears. It seems like it sucks the water out of the bathroom sink. A gurgling noise is heard and then the smell appears. What can I do to eliminate the smell? I'm not sure if it's vented or even what venting is.

Wall gets wet [ 2 Answers ]

Every time when showering the wall outside of curtain get wet. I bought the curve rod to help with this problem but its still gets wet. Can't figure out where the water is coming from. Any ideas on this?

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases....

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

View more questions Search