Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pargo80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Do I have to pay back child support if I give up my rights and the child is adopted?
    Haven't seen my kid in years... her mom wants her husband to adopt her... if he does do I have to pay back child support?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Yes you will. Only if a judge rules you do not have to, then you are still obligated for past child support payments, but not future payments.
    Foxfyr31 Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Nov 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
    I am not sure if you HAVE to let the husband adopt the child. If you are not concerned with this though meybe you could use it for leverage with the child's mother to drop the back child support. Dependent upon where you live all it takes is a letter from the child's mother to stop child support arrears.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxfyr31 View Post
    I am not sure if you HAVE to let the husband adopt the child. If you are not conserned with this though meybe you could use it for leverage with the childs mother to drop the back child support. dependant upon where you live all it takes is a letter from the childs mother to stop child support arrears.

The legal and medical boards (and a few others) are boards all about facts and research. Please don't post "I am not sure" answers. I realize you are trying to help but your information is not correct.

I don't see a question about whether he "has" to allow the adoption. The question appears to be if the adoption will end his past-due child support obligation.

The answer is no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

I am a mother, if I give up rights to my child, do I still have to pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

I have seen this question before but it is never for my state or it's always a father asking? I would like to give up my rights over my son, to his biological father. I live in Florida. And have had physical custody of my child for the last 6 years. His biological father owes me about 26,000 in...

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

View more questions Search