Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 03:46 PM
    Dropped snake line into the vent pipe-can't find the cleanout to retrieve the line!
    When snaking out the toilet vent pipe from the roof, the snake broke and fell into the pipe. I've found suggestions to retrieve it that involve finding the vent pipe clean-out... how do we find the vent pipe clean-out? We live in a 1960s ranch with a basement. Two toilets on the main floor and one in the basement.

Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Hi Swake...

You are looking for the cleanout at the base of the vent pipe. If there is no cleanout there you want to look for the main drain cleanout and see if the snake got that far. The main drain cleanout is usually on the front of the house if you have city/town sewer or out by the back wall if you are on septic tank.

Check for these cleanouts and hopefully you will find the snake, too.

Another alternative would be to rent another snake, but this time get one with a RETRIEVER HEAD on it and send it down the same vent pipe. With any luck it will snag the broken cable and you can pull it back. Be clear, that here, you may need to fish for the broken snake many times before the retriever head grabs it... ;)

Finally, another option would be to cut a cleanout into the drain line at the base of the stack. If this interests you please let us know so we can walk you through the details to keep you and your plumbing pipes safe.

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do install a main line cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped. [ 23 Answers ]

I would like to install a cleanout for my main drain line from my house to the city sewer system. There is no existing cleanout access for the main sewer drain line. House details: Huntington Beach, CA single-family tract house built 1960. Today I dug a hole to access the clay drain line. ...

How to connect vent line to sewer line in a 3 unit house? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to have something clarified for me, I have a 3 unit house that I recently bought and the cast iron sewer pipe was cracked from the 2nd fl down to the 1st fl. It has been cut away and I have the 4' pvc to replace it but now I cannot remember how the vent line was connected to it. The vent...

Can you reduce from a 3 in. Vent line to a 1 1/2in vent line [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an upflush toilet system in my basement. It calls for a 3" Vent line. Since I am going from the basement and up two floors to the attic, can I reduce from the 3" Vent line to a 1 1/2" vent line.

Installing a cleanout in an iron pipe sewer line [ 3 Answers ]

OK; read all the posts and exposed my 4" iron pipe sewer line as close to the house as I can get- about 3 ft. Ready to cut the pipe and install a combination wye and 1/8 bend but first two questions: 1. Is it really worth all the trouble to double the wye to provide access to the portion of the...

Dropped snake in vent pipe! [ 7 Answers ]

In attempting to clear a vent stack pipe to solve gurgling toilet, my snake got away from me and now is at the bottom of the stack pipe. What is the easiest way to retrieve this? Help, Slippery fingers - Cliff

View more questions Search